Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why should I vote for Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    That's so easy, Alan. Are you lumping ALL media together or only the type his minions enjoy?

How did he get nominated in the first place? Are you telling me the media is responsible for that?

Where will you get all your factual and legitimate news if there was no media at all? Hmm?
    I think there'll always be news media because it's one of the most popular entertainment venue's around.

I remember back in the pre-cable days when there were 3 networks and an independent station or two in each market the FCC required each network to provide news programing as a public service and each one provided a 15 minute or so national newscast each evening and local markets did the same for local news. These newscasts were loss leaders for the networks and individual stations so they didn't get much airtime. That changed in the 60's and 70's when newscasts of all stripes became profit centers with expanded coverage and an advertisement every 5 minutes or so. People liked it, especially when their trusted newsreaders began offering commentary, the likes of which were previously limited to opinion pages in newspapers. Commentary and opinion became so popular that it pretty much took over news operations and nobody did it as well as upstart cable news operations once CNN became the first full-time news network and other operators discovered there was money to be made without having to provide expensive programming.

I can't speak for "his minions", even though I've been accused here of being one, because I usually get my slanted news from MSNBC, a favorite of "his arch-nemeses" along with a few newspapers and magazines.

As for how he got nominated, it was well reported several years ago that he received a disproportionate amount of media coverage by cable and network news, vastly more than any other candidate, even though most of it was mocking, but it resulted in him being an almost immediate front-runner, strangely enough.

I've read several articles in the past week or so about an MSNBC producer named Ariana Pekary and her open letter criticizing commercial news operations and their penchant for only providing opinion/news that fit their target demographic's wishes (you may have to search for that since most businesses won't publish anything critical of themselves). But that's what a business does, give it's customers what they want. I'm not sure where we can get "factual and legitimate news" these days. I think you have to consume it from various sources and keep the wheat and throw away the chaff, and there's an awful lot of chaff.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That's so easy, Alan. Are you lumping ALL media together or only the type his minions enjoy?

How did he get nominated in the first place? Are you telling me the media is responsible for that?

Where will you get all your factual and legitimate news if there was no media at all? Hmm?
    I absolutely believe the mainstream media that mocked and disparaged Donald Trump had a major role in getting him elected. And he knows it. And if ya’ll cant see him manipulate that media still, well, god help us.

I thought he won because people believed his debate boast about having the biggest penis. If he were a more honest person he would’ve said that he was the biggest penis, but alas, truth is not his friend.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I thought he won because people believed his debate boast about having the biggest penis. If he were a more honest person he would’ve said that he was the biggest penis, but alas, truth is not his friend.
    I believe he said he had big hands, after someone accused him of having little hands for some reason I've yet to understand. Did you maybe see that on Saturday Night Live where perhaps a re-creation skit substituted penis and then half the world preferred that version over the actual? No, you're too smart for that and won't let them confuse you again like they did with Sarah Palin. It's more likely some opinion journalist suggested he meant penis and you thought it was funny.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So are we saying that the media should NOT have covered the raunchy conversation Iris referred to, or any other aspect of his campaign which made you sit up straight? Do we consider Faux Snooze a part of the media, cuz they sure covered him too.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think you have to consume it from various sources and keep the wheat and throw away the chaff, and there's an awful lot of chaff.
    There ya go! Ding-ding-ding!

So not a pox on ALL media, then?

So are we saying that the media should NOT have covered the raunchy conversation Iris referred to, or any other aspect of his campaign which made you sit up straight? Do we consider Faux Snooze a part of the media, cuz they sure covered him too.
    What raunchy conversation did Iris refer to? Did you mean JP1's penis joke?

Yes, I consider Fox News to be part of the media, are you implying that they got him elected, perhaps against the best efforts of CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNBC, CNN and the dozen or so largest newspapers in the country who promoted him relentlessly during the primaries in hopes of an easy Clinton win in the general?

There ya go! Ding-ding-ding!

So not a pox on ALL media, then?
    No, I meant all media. You've probably heard the one about the broken watch being right twice a day?

"Look at those hands, are they small hands?" the front-runner for the GOP presidential nomination said, raising them for viewers to see. "And, he referred to my hands -- 'if they're small, something else must be small.' I guarantee you there's no problem. I guarantee."

https://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/polit...bio/index.html

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    I have asked the original question of several very nice people I am friends with who are avid Trump supporters. I live in a very red area. Because I really want to know and they are normal, nice people. Not crazy white supremists or deplorables. There are several interesting responses I have heard.
    one is not sending more than our share to NATO and spending US money to have bases in foreign countries to protect their citizens. Those countries should pay us to protect them.
    second, the immigration/wall issue. The false idea that people can illegally come into the US and get free housing, medical care, food stamps and welfare. Also these immigrants get jobs that Americans could do and send the money back to their home countries. Not to mention all the murderers and rapists.
    third, the abortion issue. This is an extremely hot issue. I am not going to convert anyone to believe anything other than what they do about abortion.
    Fourth is more Jesus. I have heard things like “we are a Christian country”. “trump lets me say merry Christmas again”.
    Fifth, the liberal woke culture has gone too far.
    sixth the liberals want to take our guns. Before the Muslim not born in the US Obama’s second term the rumor a neighbor actually told me was he was going to declare martial law and take everyone’s guns and declare Sharia law. I knew we were in big trouble then.

So in each of these issues I could get into discussions of inaccuracy and spin. But I will tell you right now, anyone who does not believe we could benefit from foreign bases, or that all abortion should be illegal, even if it means almost certain death for the mother or the product of rape or incest, even of children will not be swayed. The religion thing drives me the most insane.
    I do have to say, some of the politically correct stuff perplexes me. Some people are openly racist which is obviously very wrong and think there is no systemic racism. But I guess now you aren’t supposed to make the OK sign. Not sure why.
    I do say the health insurance issue is a stumper. Why is there no replacement like we have been promised for TEN YEARS. If you ask about it the most common response is a “but her emails” anyone is better than Hillary and Obamacare is unconstitutional . Also Hillary=bad and it would be worse with her in charge is a useful answer if you are asking if the Covid response could have been better if trump believed in science and his health experts.

Thread Information