Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Real Interest Rates at a New Low

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Makes you wonder what will happen when the bubble bursts, and the realization dawns that a price must be paid for that ocean of artificial liquidity. Obviously, we won’t want to accept our own role In what is ultimately a disconnect between consumption and productivity, and will need to identify scapegoats. I wonder who we will choose? The financial industry? A shadowy oligarchy and their meretricious minions? Some wicked top percentage? Free lunch governance? White privilege? The Fed? The Gnomes of Zurich?
    You know very well a major if not main source of the stupidity is US Congress and their willingness to spend us into oblivion.

The only sane voice in that illustrious body is Rand Paul, occasionally speaking up for fiscal sense. I still remember his wonderful Halloween costume mini years ago he went dressed as the national debt which he said was the scariest thing he could think of. I love Rand.

I sent him campaign money. He’s the only Pol I’m sending money to.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You know very well a major if not main source of the stupidity is US Congress and their willingness to spend us into oblivion.
    I'd want to include a president who is building a medieval wall and wants to increase military spending while at the same time cutting sources of revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

The only sane voice in that illustrious body is Rand Paul, occasionally speaking up for fiscal sense. I still remember his wonderful Halloween costume mini years ago he went dressed as the national debt which he said was the scariest thing he could think of. I love Rand.

I sent him campaign money. He’s the only Pol I’m sending money to.
    I’m inclined toward government fiscal folly myself, but I wonder if factuality will have much weight when things head south and villains get identified. There are an awful lot of people with an interest in outsourcing the blame to some scapegoat they can punish, and flinty adult realism will almost always be the minority position as long as it’s possible to buy votes on credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'd want to include a president who is building a medieval wall and wants to increase military spending while at the same time cutting sources of revenue.
    And, who campaigned with the promise of balancing the budget???? Of course, he is going to blame someone else!

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whi...ngress-n981866

The same Rand Paul that voted for a trillion dollar budget busting tax cut for rich people two years ago? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m inclined toward government fiscal folly myself, but I wonder if factuality will have much weight when things head south and villains get identified. There are an awful lot of people with an interest in outsourcing the blame to some scapegoat they can punish, and flinty adult realism will almost always be the minority position as long as it’s possible to buy votes on credit.
    True. The republicans have managed to buy a lock on rich people’s votes. Not a very efficient buy though. For a trillion bucks to poor people they could’ve gotten a lot more bang for our bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    True. The republicans have managed to buy a lock on rich people’s votes. Not a very efficient buy though. For a trillion bucks to poor people they could’ve gotten a lot more bang for our bucks.
    Somehow, I don’t think the usual spiral of reciprocal finger-pointing will have much impact on the problem. Insisting we can solve it by gouging the rich won’t work. There aren’t enough of them to cover the current tab, much less all the great “new” ideas being offered up. We will either need to tax the big-percentage people or spend less. But of course few want to say that out loud.

You’re right about the reciprocal finger pointing. But it’s also time that republicans face the fact that the idea that their party is somehow more fiscally responsible has been a fiction since sometime in the third week of January 1981.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    You’re right about the reciprocal finger pointing. But it’s also time that republicans face the fact that the idea that their party is somehow more fiscally responsible has been a fiction since sometime in the third week of January 1981.
    And you still don't like them?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

That is so far out of my league financially that I can't give you any words of wisdom, just do what makes sense to you and your financial planner.

You still have to sell the house at the end of the day, so then you have to pay the mortgage back, so I guess I am not following what you are accomplishing?

Thread Information