Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone put on the Quarantine Fifteen?

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    With cooler fall weather I should get more active too. But boy is this hard.
    This is hard. Since things shut down in March, two of my primary activities went away and it will be some time before either comes back. I lost a chunk of the summer to physical therapy so I could ride my bike and that has gone well but not that well. I don't even get the exercise I used to marching around stores finding what I needed to buy. So, yeah, it's been a challenge. I think we all need to give ourselves a little grace for wherever we are in this.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Jeppy: I'm genuinely curious - what pleasures are you currently being denied by the government? Currently, I feel like I can legally do pretty much anything I would want to do, but there are some things I am opting to avoid since it feels safer to avoid them. Bars and amusement parks are still closed, but I don't tend to frequent those anyway.

Jeppy: I'm genuinely curious - what pleasures are you currently being denied by the government? Currently, I feel like I can legally do pretty much anything I would want to do, but there are some things I am opting to avoid since it feels safer to avoid them. Bars and amusement parks are still closed, but I don't tend to frequent those anyway.
    stuff is closed here - restaurants and bars for indoor dining (don't miss), indoor gyms (do miss). And then there is the fact you wouldn't want to do most of that stuff (and much much more stuff that one is allowed to do) anyway due to there being a ton of covid cases around. So one avoids much much more than is closed, because yes tons of covid, and who wants that? I hate it here for letting covid run wild and ruining everyone's life. It sucks. Newsom can suck my @#$#. California could have not sucked but since we were broke I guess we have to have all the covid in the world (well it also doesn't help that parts of Cali are basically a 3rd world country and the places that have controlled it better probably aren't - 3rd world countries aren't doing that well with covid). And so I mostly stay home.

Oh all socializing with anyone you don't live with is still banned, but I ignore it at this point. Because if sitting outside at a restaurant 6 feet away from others without a mask is ok, why isn't socializing with people outside at distance? I know the answer, but it has nothing to do with public health, it's because one involves money. I do hate our local government more than I can say, their public messaging is inconsistent, they can't even make ads about masks that tell you to cover your nose but pretend the problem is people wearing it over their chin (noone does that inside but the non nose coverers are a problem), they have utterly failed to control covid anyway and have ZERO interest in doing so beyond controlling hospital capacity, schools still can't open and it's because we have a ton of covid, but unlike anywhere else, including place with much better control, they are still banning socializing outside with anyone you don't live with. Oh and the data has been bad.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I like road trips and between resrictions from my state, other states, and my employer can only go to New York, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Massachusetts my home state. I have a three day weekend at the end of the month and had thought of going to Block Island but now the governor has banned travel to Rhode Island without a two week quarantine, not practical given that I have to work for a living. Many places even within the four states are closed or I have to wear a mask which is onerous in the heat.

There are restrictions even in air conditioned places where masks are not as burdensome. Most changing rooms are closed because it is cumbersome for stores to set up appointments, despite the fact that science has increasingly shown the virus is not transmitted on surfaces.

Libraries all remain curbside pickup only, a decision made by local government. Going to the library and being able to browse and to take out as many books as I want not being limited to 5 was a real pleasure for me.

Parking has been curtailed at beaches and some parks. Driving over an hour to get somewhere only to have to turn around and go home because of no parking makes it useless to even try. Fort Tryon State Park in New York City that I want to visit is closed to vehicle traffic altogether. Having to stay in the city so I can take mass transit to get there would add time, expense, and lots of covid exposure. The decision seems entirely backwards to me. You are safest in your own car.

Gatherings of certain sizes have been prohibited so I was not able to hear additional presidential candidates speak, a hobby I picked up last year. Specifically an event with Howie Hawkins I was scheduled to attend was cancelled.

Another thing I would like to do is see Blue Man Group, but theatrical events are not allowed. To me this is something that could be moved outdoors and go on.

Water Wiz water park is closed and is a great way to beat the heat. The virus is not transmitted in water. Water Country is open but half the rides are closed due to staffing shortages. So Water Country is the private sector's failure to recruit. Everything else I mentioned is the result of government restrictions.

ETA I am also not going to state or city pools because there are so many capacity restrictions and I do not want to deprive children of the chance to go because I am taking up one of the few slots.

I'm fairly happily housebound at this point, and though I realize this siege may last awhile--doesn't anyone else feel that this is a temporary situation? (At least it would have been if we lived in a decently-run country.) I don't get the impatience. Unless this is the new normal, it will be over eventually.

Yppej
    I do not think it will be over anytime soon. A vaccine, assuming we get one more months from now, will likely only be 50% effective and not everyone will get it. I thought in March it would be a few weeks, but no such luck. I also think once government gets power it does not want to give it up. Due to the aging of the US population there will be many more health threats and infringing on the liberties of even younger people may well become the norm at a minimum every flu season, five months out of the year.

My husband broke his ankle and needs surgery. We told him we were supposed to be in Europe. He said he thinks that the virus will be like the swine flu and gone by next summer.

Temporary likely so, but we may have been at it for a year at least before then (if we got and distributed (at the discovery isn't even the part that seems most unlikely) a vaccine early 2021). Maybe it takes more time than that, 2-3 years, etc.. Yes I'm FULLY figuring on the U.S. being all 3rd world in doing that too, and being unable to deliver a vaccine, either that or the carnival barker pushing something dangerous and untested. Why should I believe a country that can't get PPE, will be able to get vaccine supplies. I want what the rest of the world is having because they care about their people and will do right by them. I may have to travel to another country to get a decent vaccine, I'd be willing to, only thing is we are banned from entry ... The real hope remains for a decent treatment before then IMO. Some are being studied so it's not impossible.

So it feels like losing years of one's life to it in a way. I don't even go shopping except for food, don't go to any group meetings etc. (some seem to be going on despite the so called ban on all socializing, but who the heck cares it's Not Safe). I just stay at home.

My socially active friends are still taking day trips, having small, distanced, masked gatherings, sitting outdoors to enjoy food and drink, meeting over Zoom, etc. It doesn't look like deprivation to me, but I understand a lot of activities, like sports, are sorely missed.

I'm impressed, Yppej, with how you manage to hang every odious turn life takes on us old folks. We should just all kill ourselves, and get out of your way, amirite?

"Due to the aging of the US population there will be many more health threats and infringing on the liberties of even younger people may well become the norm at a minimum every flu season, five months out of the year."

My socially active friends are still taking day trips, having small, distanced, masked gatherings, sitting outdoors to enjoy food and drink, meeting over Zoom, etc. It doesn't look like deprivation to me, but I understand a lot of activities, like sports, are sorely missed.
    the problem with day trips as my bf pointed out is where do you use the bathroom? A public bathroom? So Unsafe and hard to find. A gas station bathroom? Probably closed anyway and so unsafe. And restaurants are closed and their bathrooms would be unsafe anyway. But what wear diapers? Ha. No it doesn't seem realistic.

I'm impressed, Yppej, with how you manage to hang every odious turn life takes on us old folks. We should just all kill ourselves, and get out of your way, amirite?
    the thing is yeppej is not young, so I don't know what it is really all about. I mean I get it one is basically disposable by 40 in U.S. culture, as only youth matters, but it doesn't seem a positive thing.

Thread Information