Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone put on the Quarantine Fifteen?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My socially active friends are still taking day trips, having small, distanced, masked gatherings, sitting outdoors to enjoy food and drink, meeting over Zoom, etc. It doesn't look like deprivation to me, but I understand a lot of activities, like sports, are sorely missed.

I'm impressed, Yppej, with how you manage to hang every odious turn life takes on us old folks. We should just all kill ourselves, and get out of your way, amirite?

"Due to the aging of the US population there will be many more health threats and infringing on the liberties of even younger people may well become the norm at a minimum every flu season, five months out of the year."
    Old people don't have to go to work every day and they are the high risk group. So I support an approach like Sweden's with health advisories and people can consider their risk factors and go places at their own risk. I am not opposed to nor do I wish to kill off old people. I am opposed to government restrictions put in place to pander to the most reliable voting demographic.

I don't think anyone's pandering--certainly Trump isn't pandering to old people. Public health experts are trying--with limited success in this country--to starve out the virus and eliminate it. Letting everyone run amok will just assure that it never goes away. Old people aren't the only people suffering and dying with this thing.

Yppej
    If you subtracted out the old people from the death toll it would be so small no one would be calling it a pandemic.

Every single day someone without preexisting conditions in the 30-49 year old age group dies of it here. Of course according to the average 21 year old, that is old. I think we need to include middle age (40 and 50s) in the old bracket to make the numbers work the way yeppej thinks they do. I don't think anyone in their 20s would disagree that that is old, it's just very odd for yeppej to, being so ancient themselves.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Here is data from the CDC on covid deaths:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6928e1.htm

"Covid-19 mortality is higher in persons with underlying medical conditions and in those aged greater than or equal to 85 years."

"A majority were aged greater than or equal to 65 years and most had underlying medical conditions."

"79.6% were aged greater than or equal to 65 years."

"Median decedent age was 78 years." In my state the median decedent age is 82.

Since I have to be exposed to the virus anyways at work, I should be able to get some pleasures from my earnings. I stay at a distance from old people including my own parents and they should stay at a distance from me. Go to the special senior shopping hours if you refuse help from others to pick things up for you. But don't take away my rights because you could stay home being retired but don't want to.

But EVERYONE IS AFRAID OF SENIORS, a powerful voting bloc. They will not take away their licenses when they are too old to drive and they will not put in covid restrictions for seniors only. Everyone has to suffer. Children are very low risk but they can't go back to school because elderly teachers and their powerful teachers unions will object. Elderly teachers could retire or if high risk with documentation from a doctor teach virtual classes. Open the schools with homeschooling as an option for families, taught by the high risk teachers.

Yppej
    People can die suddenly in their sleep. It's usually babies less than a year old and called Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. Should I not being a baby be forced to sleep on my back when I like to sleep on my side? Should I be compelled to be hooked up to a monitor to make sure I do not die in my sleep? No, because although adults can die in their sleep they are not the demographic at risk of SIDS.

I think those stats hide as much as they reveal, I mean the reality of those stats, is people of all ages except the young, with no preexistings dying of it daily, here is what county stats tend to look like on a daily basis:

Of the 50 new deaths reported today, 15 people that passed away were over the age of 80, 19 people who died were between the ages of 65 and 79 years old, 12 people who died were between the ages of 50 and 64 years old, three people who died were between the ages of 30 and 49 years old and one person who died was between the ages of 18 and 29 years old.

And btw I've looked at it every single day and many days don't have anyone in the 18-29 bracket, but they always have some in all brackets following. And this is what it is DAILY with about 2% of the population confirmed infected so far (more probably are and never tested), so a tiny amount with a long long way to go.

I'm back to thinking that, by your standards, everyone over--say 50--should just kindly euthanize themselves so you don't feel thwarted.

You're unlikely to die if you're in the 18-29 bracket, but there are certainly those who suffer--like the 18-year old who required a double lung transplant and others.

This isn't the flu. I have no fear of that. This is a serious, highly contagious infection that can kill you in myriad ways, or seriously compromise your life. Dialysis, anyone? And if we keep f-ing around, it's going to be with us for a long time. You can apparently get it repeatedly. Is that the future you want?

Right I have no fear of the flu, deaths and disabilities for that under 65 or maybe much older but I know the flu shot is strongly recommended at a certain age and merely recommended before then, really are tiny. I got a flu shot cause I don't enjoy being sick and people kept talking about getting sick again and again in the office, and I was like, what is this a petri dish? Everyone coming in sick and spreading?

I fear disability from covid though, more than death, what if I'm unable to work again, would be catastrophic. I mean being disabled and not having to work and just collecting a disability check, might sound good, but I suspect the reality is no good at all.

Yppej
    I want herd immunity, which in the absence of a vaccine - which as with HIV we may never have - is best achieved by low risk people going about their lives, getting exposed, and developing immunity. With other illnesses we do not make immune compromised people get their childhood vaccines. Those of us who are healthy take on the risks of immunization for them and the rest of the herd. I am happy to be working and would like to be fully out and about taking on risks as a benefit to the public. I am under 60, have no underlying health conditions, am female and am white, all factors that make me much less susceptible to a serious outcome from covid. If I should not be doing essential work, and doing errands, and putting money into the economy, who should? High risk people?

Thread Information