Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone put on the Quarantine Fifteen?

I'm ever the contrarian. I've lost weight. There's no where to go, so I've been spending time in my yard catching up on 20+ years of minimal maintenance and ripping out some invasive persistent weeds, and installing a new flower meadow and redoing some landscaping that I allowed to take over. I've been pretty consistently hitting 100K steps per week. We are also no longer visiting new breweries as a weekend past time and doing all of the sampling and of course no restaurant meals (but we don't do a lot of those anyways). Since I'm no longer working, I'm no longer doing the comfort eating that got me through the day or the reward eating at night for having gotten through a tough day.

I've lost weight too. Partially thanks to trying to avoid public transportation and doing a lot of more running / walking as part of my commute to work.
    Also as I was deciding and finally decided to give notice at work my stress levels have decreased (less cravings for sugary snacks in any form available). With prospect of significantly reduced income I am making effort to spend less on food at the same time as trying to stay healthy. So I got back to cooking and baking from scratch and we ended up eating much healthier food over the last couple of months.

Yes due to baking more and buying some fresh bread at local bakeries in the first part of the lockdown. I am trying to support local businesses but had to exclude the bakeries. I love fresh bread!!

Quality ice cream is another temptation that I am avoiding as I take charge of what I put in my mouth again. I do my regular 1 1/2 hour walk with my dog so have been getting enough exercise with the addition of gardening.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

COVID19 has robbed me of 10 pounds that I had saved up for a rainy day.

My weight has been creeping up ever since I moved to New Mexico. I am coming up on my moving anniversary; it will have been four years since I took the plunge and came out here. At first the weight gain was due to going to the tavern and drinking a lot more than I was used to, having a much more sedentary job at the gallery than the Wholefoods deli counter, and all the injuries and surgeries and the death of my daughter has brought my weight up about 15 pounds in four years. Sad to say, I am in the worse shape I have been in a very long time. Moving in with my boyfriend has changed my diet (he's a meat & potatoes kind of guy). I certainly don't eat the way I ate when I was single.

Earlier in the spring (pre-lock down) I was going to the gym twice a week and starting to feel really good but then it closed down. That's when I started the intensive yard work and landscaping and was feeling pretty good until my knees and back started really bothering me. It has gone downhill from there in the past two months as I was starting to have balance issues, and have hypotonic pelvic muscles which mean nothing is stable in my pelvic region and the muscles are either moving around so much I can't stay stable or they are spasming because they are too tight. I am currently in physical therapy and am also getting an EMG on my right leg next week which is noticeably weaker. Lately I have been feeling a bit depressed from the constant barrage of aches and pains. It's hard to even take walks (especially on our uneven, gravelly desert terrain) when I can hardly walk. I have been using a cane at times.

Last week there were two instances where my right glut was spasming so much I literally could not stand, let alone walk. At least that has alleviated somewhat with gentle stretching and some painkillers and muscle relaxers.

So what am I going to do about all this? A month ago I stopped eating the nightly ice cream treat; well, I switched to a non-dairy ice cream treat which is really pretty good so I don't miss the real stuff. We are eating decent meals and lots of salads from our garden. The past few weeks I have definitely cut down on the booze which got to be a daily habit during the pandemic. I try to take walks when I am physically able and am about to buy an exercise bike for home. And I am trying to accept that my body is really changing and will never be like it was five years ago, but hopefully better at some point than it is now.

Wow, SiouzQ, first, has it really been four years! Doesn't seem possible. And second, your physical challenges really sound rough. I'm also having trouble accepting my aging body as well. Seems like there's something new more often than before. Don't get me started!

Hopefully the indoor bike is an answer to the muscle stabilization problem you're having. I need to bust my bike out more often, too. I really need a bike rack so I can get out of my area (city) and ride in more interesting places. For me exercise has to be fun or at least interesting.

Curious what kind of non-dairy ice cream you went with.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Not a motivator for me; I am definitely someone who thrives on positive motivation.

To Kay LR: I have been eating the "So Delicious" cashew milk "ice cream" on a stick. It's 180 calories per bar. I like the fact that it is a definitive amount; no measuring, no guesstimating, no sneaking in an extra smidgen. Sure, it's 180 calories I really don't need but at this point I need to enjoy some things in life.

Yppej
    I have not gained 15 pounds. I gained, then lost some and am now stuck.

I am watching TV more and tend to snack when doing that.

This morning I was able to walk but for the most part it has been too hot and humid. One day I tried exercising to music in an air conditioned room and my son freaked out that the neighbors could hear the music through the thin material on the sides of the A/C, I don't care about him or his social anxiety, etc. He is wound extremely tight and that raises my stress and thus my cortisol levels. Food can also be a comfort, and one of the few pleasures not taken away by the dictator of my state.

I am not eating bad foods at home and do not go out to eat. Sometimes people at work give me unhealthy foods (no I cannot resist cannolis). With time I have gotten better at rejecting carb heavy gifts of produce from my parents' garden. I am not drinking at all, on the theory that if I start I will not want to stop given the stress of the pandemic.

So I don't think it is so much what I am ingesting as my eating habits. With cooler fall weather I should get more active too. But boy is this hard.

Thread Information