Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chipmunks

Yppej
    I haven't smelled them but could be. I have seen them in years past.

I bet it's a groundhog...they love tomatoes. We have killed 4 this year using a have a heart trap, then my husband shoots them. We put the body in a groundhog hole in the meadow and by the next day something has taken it away. I would prefer them to just stay away, but they love the club med under the shed....

Yppej
    Per city regulations I cannot harm the wildlife, only try to scare it away. Mothballs worked with a skunk I had under a shed before, but there are mothballs all around the perimeter of my garden this year and it has not helped. No squash though they bloom - I think the tender vegetable is eaten as soon as it appears.
    Last edited by Yppej; 8-19-21 at 10:41am.

We gave up on planting an edible garden. The tomatoes we get from the grocery store have been wonderful, corn at the fruit stand and all the rest frozen from the grocery store....so much less frustrating. I still do lots of flowers. There are only 2 of us, so the cost is minimal and the labor is nothing for vegetables!

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I would be willing to catch and transplant them, but do not know if DS would vehemently object. I have not had a chance to ask him yet.
    why in the world is this his decision? Does he take care of the garden?

this is not his business. Are you serious?

That said, read up on catching the little critters and relocating them. Common wisdom is that this is a death sentence for them to put them into a new environment. All you’re saving is your own squeamishness. You’re making yourself feel better.

DH regularly catches tree squirrels which eat up everything in our city garden. He catches then in a Haveaheart trap. Then he dispenses them to squirrel heaven with a pellet rifle bullet in their head.

When he caught the big critter a few years ago, the woodchuck that was decimating crops, He was unable to shoot that guy. So he drove him to the riverbank and let him out. We have no idea if it would’ve been kinder to put a bullet in his head or not. That funny woodchuck guy was eating all during the time he was in the have a heart trap and being driven to the river bank. You would think most wild animals would be to paralyzed with fear to eat but not this chubby man.

DH Will happily shoot adult rabbits with a pellet gun, but will not kill nests of babies.

We all have our limits.

Yppej
    IL at the time I wrote last year that he was still helping me with some things.

Yppej
    Now there is one in the house. Left a note for DS to move his boxes out of the room where I heard it so I can try to see how it is getting in there and seal up the entry point with pest block. I hear it inside at night and outside during the day.

I also have some mouse traps so may try them - though I am reading rat traps are a better size.

This could take a while - methodically removing insulation in the basement to see where the opening is, etc.

We do have chipmunks, but the only things they nibble on are the strawberries. They don't bother me otherwise. I grow lettuce, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers, strawberries, apples, pears, and lots of herbs.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Yppej
    My yard is covered with their holes and tunnels. When the neighbor with a cat moved away their population got totally out of control. They definitely outnumber the rabbits now.

Thread Information