Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chipmunks

Yppej

Chipmunks

These critters are eating up my garden. I do not want to kill them and they dig tunnels so I do not think fencing will help. They have eaten my zucchini, strawberries and tomatoes. I saw a half eaten green tomato in one of their tunnels today. I blame the neighbor who took her outdoor cat with her when she moved away. We cannot get a cat because my son is allergic.

Over the years I have stopped planting other things that animals eat - e.g. lettuce (rabbits) and corn (squirrels).

For those of you who have had chipmunks, what did you plant that they did NOT like to eat? That is what I will plan on for next year.

The chipmunk population has exploded this year in the Northeast - rats too! I haven't grown edibles for several years, but the chippies didn't used to bother my tomatoes or cukes, which is pretty much what we used to grow. I read in a FB garden group that they may be going for the water content in the tomatoes, so maybe you could try putting out a low bowl of water for them.

Yppej
    I hadn't heard that about water. That would help them but could help breed mosquitoes. Decisions, decisions.

I think it would be OK if you changed the water every day.

Yppej
    I put a little dish with water out. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I put a little dish with water out. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Of course they might just drink the water to wash down the tomatoes, but hey, it's worth a shot, especially since it doesn't cost anything!

I noticed Havaheart makes live traps for chipmunks.

But the live trap needs to be emptied, somewhere. We did that with groundhogs for several years, but now we have a trap, then my husband shoots it in the trap, put the body in the meadow and by morning it is gone....not quite sure what takes it or eats it, but some creature is benefiting from our killing. Not something I like to do, but damage to house and shed....

I suspect a good traditional rat trap would be the right size to catch chipmunks and there are a few varieties, but the OP said they did not desire to kill the little critters.

Yppej
    I would be willing to catch and transplant them, but do not know if DS would vehemently object. I have not had a chance to ask him yet.

Thread Information