Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Missouri Couple in Massachusetts Political Ad

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    In order for laws to have meaning, the society governed by the laws has to respect the laws. Doesn’t happen in St. Louis And this was the climate even before our no good very bad city prosecutor who doesn’t do squat.
    And in order to have meaning, they must also be enforced.

On a side note, I'm amazed how many people get to keep the jobs that they either don't do and/or do poorly. But, as with most things, I am thinking it, in some way, comes down to "money talks".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    And in order to have meaning, they must also be enforced.

On a side note, I'm amazed how many people get to keep the jobs that they either don't do and/or do poorly. But, as with most things, I am thinking it, in some way, comes down to "money talks".

I think that better than 50% of our population honestly and sincerely think these are bogus laws they shouldnt have to follow, that don’t apply to them. Pretty much The Man trying to keep them down. Some of the bureaucrats we elect and the hired guns think the same way. That thought process came to a head as the Ferguson Effect and now it’s pretty much the standard.

Back when we had a dedicated community cop, I talked to him about a neighbor down the block who

1) Had outdated paper plates on his wreck of a car

2) Regularly parked right by the fire hydrant, blocking it from any potential use. He also parked with his car facing the wrong way although I’m not sure that’s against any ordinance.

This officer said he’d be happy to issue a warning ticket but he didn’t want to issue an actual ticket for plate violations or hydrant violation because the guy probably didn’t have any money, judging by his beat up car, and he would just engender a fine that he might not be able to pay and then Court dates and warrants follow, Just wrapping this young guy’s life. Anyway I thought it was nice and caring of the cop, and was surprised to see that that is probably the approach they are taught because what is the point of issuing all the citations that go nowhere?

Within two years, coincidentally, the building by the fire hydrant caught fire and it was a three alarm fire that Drew trucks from all over the city. No one including pets were hurt in the fire but it was completely gutted. And yeah they did have to use that fire hydrant but the guy wasn’t parking there that day. I think he had moved by then.

To be fair, there are laws I break regularly. Speeding laws, although I am careful in the city and I drive mostly in the city. I get a parking ticket every couple of years, but I do pay it promptly. For years we had an excess of pets according to city code, etc.

I will say this though for DH and I: we have no cases against our name in the Missouri Casenet database (Records of court actions) and we’ve lived here for 32 years. Almost everyone we know, when I am idley looking them up, has been in court.

Yppej
    Someone offered me baby chicks and I was tempted though it is against zoning laws. My "criminal" neighbors have chickens which I like. Some laws are just stupid overreach.

Within two years, coincidentally, the building by the fire hydrant caught fire and it was a three alarm fire that Drew trucks from all over the city. No one including pets were hurt in the fire but it was completely gutted. And yeah they did have to use that fire hydrant but the guy wasn’t parking there that day. I think he had moved by then.
    If I arrive on-scene to a fire, and the hydrant is blocked by a vehicle, that vehicle will be out of the way in short order. It may not be in one piece at that point however.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If I arrive on-scene to a fire, and the hydrant is blocked by a vehicle, that vehicle will be out of the way in short order. It may not be in one piece at that point however.
    I asked DH about that. He said the firemen would just break windows of the car and string the hose through it. But likely they would also call a tow truck to remove the offending vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Someone offered me baby chicks and I was tempted though it is against zoning laws. My "criminal" neighbors have chickens which I like. Some laws are just stupid overreach.
    There is a guy on the Mr. Money Mustache forums who has a little farmette on a typical town lot. He had a huge number of rabbits, something like 25. He raises rabbits for meat. He was all whiney when his city took him to task for exceeding the animal limit which was something like 6. I mean, it’s not like he was 10% over the limit. He was over by a large factor.

And he single-mindedly pursued the city Council to change their mind for his special snowflake status. They did not see his specialness.

IL, he lives in the heart of Milwaukee and imagine how the neighborhood would smell if everyone was doing that. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    IL, he lives in the heart of Milwaukee and imagine how the neighborhood would smell if everyone was doing that. Ugh!
    I think he is clueless. He claims his neighbors have no problem with his huge number of rabbits. I just looked it up ...he had 70 rabbits last April Although apparently many of them are tiny. I think he said he’s allowed 2 or 3 does But he has a few more than that producing babies. Anyway, he is fooling himself, too many neighbors will not talk to him directly but will call anonymously to complain.

My dad hunted rabbits and really you can only eat so many.

I think he is clueless. He claims his neighbors have no problem with his huge number of rabbits. I just looked it up ...he had 70 rabbits last April Although apparently many of them are tiny. I think he said he’s allowed 2 or 3 does But he has a few more than that producing babies. Anyway, he is fooling himself, too many neighbors will not talk to him directly but will call anonymously to complain.
    Before he had something like 25. Now he's got 70. I guess there really is something to the phrase "breeding like rabbits". I guess he's not going to go hungry anytime soon... And I'm glad I'm not his neighbor, although I'd also not especially want to have a neighbor with a loud barky dog that spends too much time alone and frustrated outside. Thankfully that's not typically a problem in dense urban areas, at least in my experience.

Thread Information