Thread: Defunding the police

Defunding the police

It seems to me that if the police can afford to send a helicopter as part of theIr brigade to arrest a BLM protestors accused of the extreme act of yelling in a cop’s ear with a megaphone that the cops have too many taxpayer dollars to play with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/n...protester.html

If someone shrieked in my ear through a megaphone, I would want them to answer for it and probably wouldn’t begrudge the resources used to apprehend them.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    It seems to me that if the police can afford to send a helicopter as part of theIr brigade to arrest a BLM protestors accused of the extreme act of yelling in a cop’s ear with a megaphone that the cops have too many taxpayer dollars to play with.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/07/n...protester.html
    Police really need to be defunded to spare human life. OTOH this is sad - OTOH this is the reality of the United States of America. At least more and more people are waking up to it. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    If someone shrieked in my ear through a megaphone, I would want them to answer for it and probably wouldn’t begrudge the resources used to apprehend them.
    If they had succeeded in arresting him I wonder if they would have stopped off at KFC to pick him up some lunch as happened with Dylan Roof.

But more seriously, a helicopter? Did they fear that he would fly away while they were arresting him?

If they had succeeded in arresting him I wonder if they would have stopped off at KFC to pick him up some lunch as happened with Dylan Roof.

But more seriously, a helicopter? Did they fear that he would fly away while they were arresting him?
    With so many city administrations seeking ways to avoid “confrontations” with mobs, I could see the value in maintaining some kind of surveillance of where the mobs are.

It will be interesting to see whether these Democratic political establishments were correct in aligning with the people who identify the cops as the primary problem, and are willing to accept some looting, burning and other unpleasantness as collateral damage. If it turns out their constituents largely prefer not to pay that particular price, we will see many of them voice their concern through their vote or by removing themselves or their business from the reach of such enlightened leadership.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    With so many city administrations seeking ways to avoid “confrontations” with mobs, I could see the value in maintaining some kind of surveillance of where the mobs are.

It will be interesting to see whether these Democratic political establishments were correct in aligning with the people who identify the cops as the primary problem, and are willing to accept some looting, burning and other unpleasantness as collateral damage. If it turns out their constituents largely prefer not to pay that particular price, we will see many of them voice their concern through their vote or by removing themselves or their business from the reach of such enlightened leadership.
    We already had that referendum in the city of St. Louis and the anti-law and order city prosecutor won handily..

Sending two dozen vehicles, including a helicopter, to arrest someone for yelling sounds like they are the mob causing a confrontation.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Sending two dozen vehicles, including a helicopter, to arrest someone for yelling sounds like they are the mob causing a confrontation.
    True that. One of many unpleasant facts regarding American police is that they are often worse than the people they arrest/hassle/threaten/interact with. I do feel some rare hope for America in that more people are figuring this out with each passing day. Rob

Can you show me the order that told the helicopter to take off, just for this? Did the helicopter do any other jobs or support while up in the air?
    Has anyone else here, been arrested, via a helicopter, besides myself? (helicopter was following a hi speed pursuit, to keep others safe from fast vehicles, FLIR was used to find suspect that had fled the vehicle. except it got me, chasing them)

Thread Information