Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocking up for the fall/winter

Stocking up for the fall/winter

I'm in the midst of stocking up for this fall/winter. Multiples of all toiletries, toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc. It's looking like it could be an interesting time, whether with covid or whatever else.

I'm doing a lot of canned goods/shelf stable stuff, as well. I use a lot of Silk Almond milk in tea/cereal. I bought a bunch of the UHT quart boxes off Amazon. Lot of tea. Canned chicken to use in soup and sandwiches. Lot of canned soup/stew. All stuff I eat.

Amazon and Walmart.com are where I'm ordering. Comparing prices. Walmart is good for a lot of the food stuff as I can get the store brand if I want. I'm a Prime member and Walmart has free shipping (often next day) with orders over $35.

I've got an InstantPot so I'm going to try making yogurt. I eat a lot of it.

I'm also stocking up on paper books, letter writing and journaling supplies.

Any suggestions on stuff I might be missing? Anyone else stocking up.

Yppej
    Not to the degree I should be, but a little bit.

How about medications, first aid kit items like bandaids, vitamins and supplements if applicable?

Contact lens solution if applicable and spare lenses.

Any basic clothing items you might wear out or run out of like socks.

If you have the appropriate storage space and are very concerned about the future you could get canisters of gasoline.

Printer toner and paper.

Nothing more than our usual which is we buy a month worth of groceries and 3 months of medications. Have done this ever since retiring. Also buy 3 months of dog food and treats.

I'll be looking to buy more flour for baking. When cooler weather returns and it's more of a baking season I could see there being shortages.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Not to the degree I should be, but a little bit.

How about medications, first aid kit items like bandaids, vitamins and supplements if applicable?

Contact lens solution if applicable and spare lenses.

Any basic clothing items you might wear out or run out of like socks.

If you have the appropriate storage space and are very concerned about the future you could get canisters of gasoline.

Printer toner and paper.
    Multivitamin, Motrin, acid reflux meds, Flonase, and Zyrtek-D are all I take. I can stock up on all except the Zyrtek-D. Have to sign for it at the pharmacy.

Good on clothes except for a few long sleeved t-shirts and maybe a fleece top or two.

Good on printer paper and ink. Don’t use it much.

The yeast is gone from our stores. I am thankful each loaf takes 1/4 teaspoon and I have a jar. Probably should share some of it so it does not go bad.

I'm somewhat stocked up but tend to get a little panicky about "having enough" when I read posts like this. I will do more flour, as I bake all our bread; don't need yeast though as I have sourdough starter. May get one more big pack of tp, but have enough. Meds - always tricky as can only order on prescription schedule. Also well stocked on cans, dried beans, maybe get more rice. Veggies will be the hardest if TSHTF, but I have some sprouting seeds.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We always stock up more in winter, filling the freezer with autumn produce and getting the pantry ready for the cold, snowy, dark season. The main inconvenience for me will be going to the store less combined with not having the garden. I can only store so much fresh produce in the refrigerator. Good point about flour and people returning to baking. I also bake all our bread and was lucky to not run out of flour this spring.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    The yeast is gone from our stores. I am thankful each loaf takes 1/4 teaspoon and I have a jar. Probably should share some of it so it does not go bad.
    Why don't you transfer part of it to another container and freeze it?

I eat a lot more frozen veggies than I do fresh. I really wish I had a small freezer now. Years ago I thought about getting the smallest chest freezer possible to put in a corner of my kitchen, but I never did it. I have a small fridge and freezer on top. It's packed full right now. I have a partial bag of frozen chicken breasts, some hamburger patties, some pork chops, and a few bags of frozen fruit. I love fruit with my yogurt. The frozen fruit has been scarce at times, so I bought three bags. I'm eating off of one right now.

I don't bake, except for cherry scones at Christmas time for gifts or for church bake sale fundraiser. I don't think the latter is going to happen this year, and I don't bake every year for gifts.

I don't have a lot of storage space. The paper goods generally go under my bed, but I may need to shift things around. I have a full width shelf in the closet where my washer and dryer are. I could put the smaller packages of paper goods up there, although it's a bit of a reach for me. I can put some things in my bedroom walk in closet, as well.

Thread Information