Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocking up for the fall/winter

Paper towels, toilet paper, hand sanitizer (a distillery near our house sells it in bulk). A run to an international foods store to pick up the items I use that I can't get at our usual markets. Already have been restocking the pantry with canned meat and some other staples. DW makes our laundry detergent so maybe make sure we have enough raw materials for that.

Which reminds me that I probably should get another box of dishwasher detergent because I'm particular about the one I like. Actually, aside from stocking items which will likely run short if things get notably worse (like hand sanitizer), a lot of our stocking up is so that we have the items we want on hand. We live three blocks from a decent-sized supermarket and a short drive to several more and some pharmacies. Short of a blizzard or an ice storm, it's not onerous to get what we need. But getting what we want can be a bigger deal, so why not address the non-perishable wants now, while it's easier?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Steve, good point.

I haven't even thought about it, frankly. I have loads of TP, and I typically stock up on Costco cases of diced tomatoes and beans and chicken stock, because I use a lot of those things, but because of my space limitations, I'm a bit of a "live for today" kind of person. I would like to stock up on dried herbs from the fresh ones I grow all summer, and I'm hoping to have enough tomatoes from the garden to be able to dice them up and freeze them in ziploc bags.

I will also stock up on wood for the wood stove. We plan on getting a cord in a couple of weeks.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Are you implying that I might need to stock up on something else in addition to my 110 rolls of toilet paper?

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Are you implying that I might need to stock up on something else in addition to my 110 rolls of toilet paper?

32 rolls of TP being delivered tomorrow. Got 500 tea bags today. Love my Twining's English Breakfast and Red Roobios. Have to have tea!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I was just going to ask what the quantities were that folks were stocking up on. LOL. For example, 3-4 person household and I already have two - 20 packs of TP. Contemplating getting one more. I've just never calculated our actual TP usage.

Have about 15 cans of tuna, which normally last 4-5 months - unless someone in the house goes on a "tuna kick".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post

Have about 15 cans of tuna, which normally last 4-5 months - unless someone in the house goes on a "tuna kick".
    IMHO you really can't have too much tuna. My DH commented on the fact that in our very wee pantry I have a stack of tuna cans that looks like the Shanghai Tower next to all the other cans.

You can do tuna salad plates, tuna melts, basic tuna sandwiches, tuna noodle casserole--the options are endless.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    You can do tuna salad plates, tuna melts, basic tuna sandwiches, tuna noodle casserole--the options are endless.
    And just like Bubba Gump Shrimp Company, the seeds of a new enterprise are born.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I've stocked up on marinated artichoke hearts and Spanish peanuts, among other things. You can just never have enough.

Thread Information