Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stocking up for the fall/winter

I tend to only stock up on things as they are on sale - except TP which NEVER seems to be on sale any more. My grocery store has a "limit 4" at time of purchase, so for really good deals, I'm back to the store a couple times during a good sale. I'm starting to think the "needs" are pretty well stocked, but a few of the "wants" may need to be addressed, like jars of roasted red peppers. LOL.

Most of my food stock-up is also either canned or dried for shelf storage. The only freezer I have is the one on the fridge. Gave one up the time we lost power and lost most of the food in the mini-freezer, along with the regular freezer/fridge.

Interesting thread. I appreciate all the input.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Since I've been unable to find bakers yeast at the store for the last two months I decided to check out Amazon. There were several sellers offering my usual 4 oz. jar of Fleischmanns at a going rate of about $13.00. I can't recall what I have paid at the store, but that seems like scalping to me. I ordered a one pound vaccuum pack of Red Star for $10.00 although I doubt I could ever use that much before it expires.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've stocked up on marinated artichoke hearts and Spanish peanuts, among other things. You can just never have enough.
    hmmmm.. What do you do with marinated artichoke hearts? salads?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Since I've been unable to find bakers yeast at the store for the last two months I decided to check out Amazon. There were several sellers offering my usual 4 oz. jar of Fleischmanns at a going rate of about $13.00. I can't recall what I have paid at the store, but that seems like scalping to me. I ordered a one pound vaccuum pack of Red Star for $10.00 although I doubt I could ever use that much before it expires.
    Rogar, freeze it! I used to split the large packs with friends when I used to bake a lot of communion bread for church. I just kept a bit for current use in a jar in the fridge.

I remembered razors, so I ordered those from Amazon. I know what I would pay for stuff at Walmart/Target. Got another blanket for my bed.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I was just going to ask what the quantities were that folks were stocking up on. LOL. For example, 3-4 person household and I already have two - 20 packs of TP. Contemplating getting one more. I've just never calculated our actual TP usage.
    40 rolls of TP for 3-4 people? Heck, no! I'd double that at least. I'm probably going to have double that myself. And I live alone!

You can do tuna salad plates, tuna melts, basic tuna sandwiches, tuna noodle casserole--the options are endless.
    lol. Our cats would love you! Here, canned tuna is only for cat food - I detest the stuff. Why, I don't know - just can't stand the taste and smell, although I love tinned salmon. And I like fresh tuna. Taste is weird, isn't it? But we have stocked up a bit on canned goods, my pantry area is very small, and it's full. I have TP, fresh veggies, and pet food by subscription, so hopefully will not run out of those regardless. Also have the freezer stocked, and hope for NOT having a power failure. We've discussed getting a small generator mainly because of the freezer, but don't know if it's worth the price - the freezer isn't stocked with steak and lobster. And not sure how we'd vent it, etc. What bothers me the most is lack of a heat source in a power outage. It seems silly to put in a wood stove "just in case", really. May look into a small kerosene heater.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    hmmmm.. What do you do with marinated artichoke hearts? salads?
    Salads, dips, savory dishes, pizza, and I often just eat them as is, maybe as part of a charcuterie plate.

I ordered a one pound vaccuum pack of Red Star for $10.00 although I doubt I could ever use that much before it expires.
    Agree with Tradd, freeze it. I buy RedStar instant yeast by the pound from King Arthur Baking Company and it takes me 12-18 months to use it up typically, and I see no degradation in my bread when the yeast is older.

We already got our two cords of wood for the winter; same price as last year, and THEY STACK IT for us! Last year we bought two cords (not having any idea how much we would actually need) and it worked out very good. We still had some left over at the end of winter. As I recall we started building fires in mid-to-late October.

We have barely gone into the stash of food K. stocked up on in the early spring right before the lock down. We should probably go through and see what we need to get to round it out at some point. There are a LOT of cans of soup left!

Thread Information