Thread: Comet Neowise

Comet Neowise

7/15/2020 about 10:30 central time I saw this comet at "tree-top" height (red pines) between the Big Dipper and the horizon. Binoculars made the features of the comet quite clear. It will be visible in that vicinity of the sky until July 23.

I see from various tidbits on the internet that:
    - Neowise gets its name from NEO (Near Earth Object)
    - It is composed of ice, and has a double tail
    - It will be visible from Earth again in 6,800 years

Somebody said they thought it was practicing Solar Distancing.

Hey, I saw it too! Quite faintly and there was a thin cloud cover that didn't help, but I did see it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Went out and saw it two nights ago. Needed binoculars, but we found it!!! Peak for us is supposed to be the 22nd, so we will be out again then.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Went out again last night and saw it. Still faint with binoculars... as least for my old eyes. Came home and could see that the Big Dipper was visible from the back deck and decided to try to find the comet from there. Success!!! Could actually see it brighter from home! Now I feel like I have a front row seat. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I've been watching this the past few days, and getting some nice photos. It's pretty amazing through a good telescope too!

There are also a lot of pretty amazing pics online. Just do a google image for it.

Last night was too cloudy to see anything and then we had rain as well. Tonight is supposed to be the best viewing night for my area. I hope the skies clear up!

I tried last night and it was too cloudy here, too. If it doesn't clear up I may have to wait 6800 years.

I’ve not personally seen the comet, but the gorgeous pictures I’m seeing from various photographers online have been fabulous to see.

I agree, Tradd. There are some gorgeous pictures out there! Nothing like I've see live - lol.

This is from today's Astronomy picture of the Day website: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html

Thread Information