Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing Covid fatigue

Managing Covid fatigue

Covid fatigue struck me last night triggering a 'self-pity' party of one. It lasted about an hour and then my usual reaction kicked in - what can I do for someone else? Different ideas came to mind that I will implement this week.

So, one idea was to post this question to encourage support for each other and sharing solutions to coping with Covid fatigue. How are you coping with Covid fatigue?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Covid fatigue struck me last night triggering a 'self-pity' party of one. It lasted about an hour and then my usual reaction kicked in - what can I do for someone else? Different ideas came to mind that I will implement this week.

So, one idea was to post this question to encourage support for each other and sharing solutions to coping with Covid fatigue. How are you coping with Covid fatigue?
    Can I ask what you mean by "covid fatigue"? The physical fatigue from the illness itself or just being tired of covid being around?
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

The meaning I got from razz was just fatigue from everything covid-related. Not being able to see family and friends or having to social distance, no hugs. Having to wear a mask. Having to REMEMBER to take a mask when you go out. Social distancing for everything. All sorts of events being cancelled, from sports to concerts to big weddings and family reunions. You could add your own things.

One thing I am doing is exploring more of my local area, and doing road trips of an hour or two around home. I tend to forget the stuff in my local area in lieu of further away somehow being more interesting and more of a "getaway". I am also packing up some meals in bento boxes and eating them as a picnic besides local watering holes. Eating outside is always more festive for me, rather than within the same 4 walls.

But yes I am tired of it all, and I often have my own pity parties. The things I miss the most are the free local concerts many of our towns have, and being able to actually see the produce at farmers markets (my town has the vendors behind a barrier and I don't think food is allowed to be displayed, you have to ask for what you want) and of course regional festivals (garlic festival, Scottish festival, barbeque festival). Being able to small talk with others at breweries and wineries without having to worry you might catch something. Exploring new to me shops and restaurants- yes I could do the last one, but its not the same these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    The meaning I got from razz was just fatigue from everything covid-related. Not being able to see family and friends or having to social distance, no hugs. Having to wear a mask. Having to REMEMBER to take a mask when you go out. Social distancing for everything. All sorts of events being cancelled, from sports to concerts to big weddings and family reunions. You could add your own things.
    Exactly! I am very grateful to be fully active and healthy walking the dog 4 km every day, visiting with other walkers along the route, calling friends, enjoying my garden and ample supply of essentials. There is so much stuff online to enjoy as well. Right now I miss a hug more than anything.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Gotcha! Except for face-to-face family and friend visits, and being unemployed, I'm pretty much doing the same stuff I always did. Walking, grocery shopping, cooking, online classes (that were online to begin with). I've started including more gardening (things are actually growing and edible!!! LOL), doing minor around the house stuff (we are not handy and money is being closely monitored), decluttering and trying to sell stuff on FB, etc. And reading and watching tv more. LOL. I'm filling my time and I'm happy with how I'm filling it, but still miss family.

Oh, in another thread I mentioned ordering a Kalimba (thumb piano) back in May. Never got it. (Got refunded). So may look into another little, quiet instrument. lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I'm fatigued from those "oh, wait!" moments.. like, maybe I'll go to NY and see a show! (Oh, wait! Broadway is closed.) Or, maybe I'll take my daughter to our favorite restaurant! (Oh, wait! They are doing curbside take-out only.). Or, maybe I'll give that person a big smile! (Oh, wait! I have this mask on and my eyes are going to have to do the heavy lifting)

But my business-as-usual doesn't typically mean I get a lot of these thoughts these days. I'm working from home, and only traveling off the island rarely to pick up extra stuff I can't get here. But I sometimes get wistful about the good old days of last January when we were naive to bugs that could level us. Similar to the feelings of loss I had after 9/11 when I realized travel would never, ever be the same again, or I could never, ever hear about a plane crash again and assume it was an accident.

Such is life. But my way of getting over it is to believe that maybe next year masks will be voluntary--maybe some of us will change our behavior for good--like the Asians. Maybe next year we'll be able to step into crowded restaurants--maybe our favorites will still be in business. Maybe next year I'll be able to fulfill my dream of taking my grandson to The Lion King for his 7th birthday.

Maybe...
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Right now I miss a hug more than anything.

I am definitely a "hugger" and I miss it, too!

I acknowledge that Covid as well as current events is a type of trauma, a mass trauma that I am navigating along with everybody else. That involves grief for the loss of the little things (going to the gym, eating out, being with friends) as well as the big things such as the loss of my coworker, my friends wife, another friends dad and this last week, my cousin to Covid. Much is being asked of us and it is exhausting to be on alert all the time. So I acknowledge that self care is essential and sometimes I just need to put the burden down. It might be taking a long nap. It might be taking a long walk. It might be painting a card for a friend and writing a note of gratitude for their friendship on it along with a future plan of something fun when we can get back together. It might be going camping with a stack of books and doing nothing but reading without feeling guilty that I'm not doing chores. I give myself a break from media and spend time in our yard and gardens where there is no feeling that the world is on fire. We just started having happy hours with a drinky poo, snacks, music and board games to keep our brains from turning into cheese.........

After missing my 11 yr old grandson for way too long, I had him most of the day last Friday.
    That was my most important issue, seeing him.
    I also miss eating out, movies and church.
    School is supposed to be starting back here in early Sept.
    Work is very busy which helps...………...

Thread Information