Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Managing Covid fatigue

+1 on the hugs, especially when someone does something kind for you, like the woman who brings me fresh flowers to my office from her garden every week. 20200812_093649.jpg

We've had a number of events cancelled we were really looking forward to, but it makes me feel really badly for those whose livelihoods are affected by the cancellations, not just ours. We planned to go to Indian Wells for the tennis tournament, a 2-wk event overall, cancelled. Think of the vendors, tournament personnel, hoteliers and their employees, restaurateurs, local shopkeepers. DH was entered in a golf tournament, cancelled, same thing. I was registered for two needleworkers seminars and a retreat--cancelled. All those hotel and retreat center workers out of work. Then also, no gym or pool. All those folks on unemployment as well as us not being able to go see our buddies in the pool.

It's a bummer, but I have said all along, I'm glad this started when the weather was mostly good; we could at least get outdoors, garden, go fishing, take walk. It will be a challenge if it continues into the darkness of winter. I'm really starting to think about that. But, I'm an introvert; it will probably be easier for me than it will be for a true extrovert.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I am definitely a "hugger" and I miss it, too!
    Jane and I have agreed that Covid19 will change that hugging ritual forever and we are on board for that!

I’m a hugger, as well, with close friends. Or I should say, WAS.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jane and I have agreed that Covid19 will change that hugging ritual forever and we are on board for that!
    While it is not a ritual that I am currently practicing, I'm not on board with totally giving it up yet, or at least the thought of giving it up - lol. I'm hopeful that a proven vaccine will eventually be developed that will allow the full, functional return of "the hug" once again.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Very pretty, KayLR! What a wonderful way to brighten things up!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    I am definitely experiencing some covid-induced anhedonia. When the weather is nice I go outside rather than watching the news.

As mentioned, having spring and summer has been a help. I have put in lots of stone paths, perennial plants and now watching tomatoes ripen. Also having a beautiful park down the street to walk around when I need to escape the house. Staring at the beautiful mountains and skies every time I go outside. Watching the geese fly over in formation every day at 7am and 4pm. I remind myself that although this has been a horribly upsetting event, historically it will be a blip in time. It will pass and other good and bad things will happen in the future. I neglected all rules when I visited DD and my grand-twins a month ago. I hugged them all tightly when we said goodby not knowing when we might meet again. Yesterday, I finally met with my book club friends outside and that was a happy event. Oh and since I don't go to thrift stores anymore, I order some brand new bright colored T-shirts. Little things we took for granted once...that is how I live my days now until this passes.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I have put in lots of stone paths,
    Did you do that yourself? Maybe this is a hijack, but I am really interested in how you did it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Managing fatigue.... interestingly, I have been sleeping more. Could be we got rid of some lights in the bedroom but does not account for the nap in the afternoon (sometimes) and then being able to sleep all night too?? Have been trying to walk as much as usual and have started doing more "internet exercises". I miss the gym too. I looked to see what different book clubs are around and put my name on the list. Think this will be beneficial when winter strikes to be able to zoom and see and communicate with others. Now, we can at least talk with neighbors and friends outdoors. Have been making mostly healthy meals and today frequented the farmers market. There were few people and was nice to be in the sunshine. Not feeling as bereft as I did a few months ago. Maybe becoming more of an introvert????? I am trying to find things to be thankful for each day. I think it is helping.

Yes, I have always liked "playing" with rocks. I procured large pieces of flagstone from an estate sale. I laid out the paths, dug out some soil, set the stones the way I wanted and then leveled and filled in with crushed granite ordered in bulk from a rock yard. They have held up well through snow and ice and I can just sweep the stones occasionally.

Thread Information