Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump basically announces he's defunding Social Security and the Post Office.

Trump basically announces he's defunding Social Security and the Post Office.

His recent executive orders have no plan and no teeth behind them. I hope all employers just ignore his idea, already declined by Congress, to defer the payroll tax, which helps fund Social Security and Medicare. Now he's come right out and plainly said he will refuse any funding to the U.S. Post Office to help them continue their agency. I don't agree with this, since many people get needed medications, and also goods they need (especially in rural areas) through the USPS. Especially right now, with mail-in ballots expected to surge for the November election, is the wrong time to do this. And Trump has blatantly announced he'll veto funding specifically to quash mail-in voting. I can't believe Americans aren't more upset about Social Security and the USPS. November can't come soon enough for me.

He needs to be stopped but the republicans are all afraid of him.

So much for our often-touted system of checks and balanced. We have a tyrant running amok, and we can do nothing to stop him.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    So much for our often-touted system of checks and balanced. We have a tyrant running amok, and we can do nothing to stop him.
    Sure we can, the Congress still has authority for what programs or services are funded or not and those representatives are closer to their individual districts wishes, hold their feet to the fire. Plus, there's an election coming up in a few months.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I am so not happy about the USPS thing. I’m a huge letter writer. Don’t eff with my mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I am so not happy about the USPS thing. I’m a huge letter writer. Don’t eff with my mail.
    Or bills, or medications, or checks, or ballots...

Or court documents or tax documents.

Not to mention that first class letter price is a smoking hot deal. No private corporation is going to be willing to deliver a one ounce letter anywhere in the US for the price of a stamp.

Not to mention that the post office provides millions of good stable middle class jobs.

Did Trump dissolve the Post Office by cutting off all funding or did he suggest blocking the extra funding the Democrats have requested? If it's the second option I don't believe that will stop our postcards and other mail, will it?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

The issue with the post office also includes the recent actions by the postmaster general. Not just trump’s latest failed figurehead actions.

Apparently his corrupt postmaster general is having sorting machines removed in order to slow down the mail. Sadly this will probably surprise approximately no one. And this is also one part of how he is trying to sow doubt about the upcoming election that he is currently likely to lose. We can all imagine the sad bleating that we will almost certainly hear on election night. ‘Record numbers of people voted by the untrustworthy mail this election. The postmaster general, a very honest man by the way, says it may be weeks before all the ballots get delivered. States are saying it could be even longer before they count them all. And who knows if we can even trust them.’

A president undermining confidence in one of the most important and long lasting of all our governmental institutions. Breathtaking. If there was ever a more unamerican president I’d love to have someone explain it to me.

https://www.dailykos.com/story/2020/...tage-continues

Thread Information