Thread: Your recommendation of a supplier of tulip bulbs?

Your recommendation of a supplier of tulip bulbs?

I am looking for a new source of supply, to buy tulip bulbs online. My DW wants a bed of 50 peach-colored tulips. I would appreciate the name(s) of companies from whom you have bought tulip bulbs on-line, and whom
    you would recommend on the strength of the bulbs being shipped to you in good condition, and your satisfaction with the blooms.

It’s been years since I bought the commercial type of tulips, Darwins and etc that you are looking for. I don’t like tulips because squirrels dig them up, deer ate them, and they peter out after a few years unlike daffodils.

generally speaking, these tulip bulbs are grown in Europe. So, you want to buy from a supplier that has decent size bulbs because they do grade these bulbs.

My main source of non-lily bulbs is Brett and Becky. Brett and Becky Heath are great supporters of American horticulture. They hybridize daffodils And they grow tons of the bulbs themselves. Certainly they import a lot of their product. They are involved in plant societies here in the United States.

For specialty bulbs I go to McClure and Zimmerman near you in Wisconsin. You might want to explore what they have for the product you’re looking for. They really are amazing for the small, unusual bulbs that exist in the horticultural world.

https://www.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/

https://www.mzbulb.com/

Keep the business local, don’t buy from the big Dutch retailers. That is my suggestion.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-18-20 at 3:59am.

What good information, IL. Thanks. I too gave up on tulips...same reasons.

Our local dealer is Wooden Shoe. Tulips are my favorite flower and I plant more every year. I have the same frustration about them petering out. Now I plant them in different types of deep planters/containers that when they are finished in sprint I plant an annual on top. I also plant at least a 100 more daffodils out in the back each fall. I don't love them as much but I love the first signs of sprint along the back of the property and the deer don't eat them.

https://www.woodenshoe.com/

Thanks, iris lilies and Simplemind.

The batch of tulip bulbs I ordered from Brent and Becky's is off to a good start this spring. I use cages to prevent herbivores from eating them.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    The batch of tulip bulbs I ordered from Brent and Becky's is off to a good start this spring. I use cages to prevent herbivores from eating them.
    Oh good!
    I placed a big order last year from Brett and Becky, including some tiny species tulips that are in bloom now. Well one set is in bloom and there will be others coming on.

Wow, IL, that is super helpful!!!!

Thread Information