Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bees in my compost

Bees in my compost

I don't recall ever getting stung by a bee in my life, but over the past two weeks I've been stung twice. Both times, I had emptied my compost bucket into my open-air compost pile and was shoveling the "green" food under. The bee was a small honey bee (I think it was a honey bee)--not a wasp or bumble bee.

My neighbor told me that bees sometimes make homes in dirt??? I never heard that.

Has anyone else ever had this problem? And what should I do about it? Now I'm afraid to use my compost pile.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Are they by chance yellow jackets? I ask because they start to get bad this time of year, they love any fruit compost, and they are fairly aggressive. They often nest underground, and they are currently hanging out on my compost pile but will mostly move to the late apple tree when the apples fall. I've seldom been stung, but I admit to being a lazy composter - I just dump and go. My compost bin is 2 sided and made of 5 skids (H pattern). After a month or so of dumping in side A, I turn side B, which has been sitting unattended, and start dumping there. By the time things have set for a month or so, the yellow jackets have lost interest and so don't bother me when I'm pitching it over.

We are having trouble with yellow jackets here too. All over my porch. I didnt realize it could be due to the time of year that it is. Im glad I read this post. I need to do more reading up on my new uninvited guests and what to do about them.
    My Blog

*Speak Kind Words - Hear Kind Echos*

Yes, it's the time of year as Connie says. I would keep using the compost pile but just throw things on top and don't do any digging. Winter is coming soon enough, and you can turn it when they are quieter.

Thank you! I'm typically afraid of leaving fresh food on top of an open pile.

This prompts me to get busy on one of the things on my list: a new compost system--two bins with sides and lids.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yes, it's the time of year as Connie says. I would keep using the compost pile but just throw things on top and don't do any digging. Winter is coming soon enough, and you can turn it when they are quieter.
    Great Advice!!!!
    My Blog

I just noticed a swarm of thin, black bees with light yellowish butts across the driveway on my neighbor's flowers. I don't recall ever seeing them before, but there were a lot! Fortunately, they were more interested in the flowers than the people. I think too small to be great wasps, but I could most definitely be wrong.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

For those unfamiliar with yellow-jackets and other types of wasps/bees that like sweet things - fall is their time! I have heard that these are moving into places not as familiar with them due to changes in climate. Don't bite into fruit you've just picked (or picked up) without looking closely for them and investigating any holes in the fruit. They also love to crawl into cans and glasses of pop or other sweet drinks. Cover the can/bottle and look closely before you drink - you do NOT want to be stung in the mouth or inside of the throat!!

Quote Originally Posted by early morning View Post
    For those unfamiliar with yellow-jackets and other types of wasps/bees that like sweet things - fall is their time! I have heard that these are moving into places not as familiar with them due to changes in climate. Don't bite into fruit you've just picked (or picked up) without looking closely for them and investigating any holes in the fruit. They also love to crawl into cans and glasses of pop or other sweet drinks. Cover the can/bottle and look closely before you drink - you do NOT want to be stung in the mouth or inside of the throat!!
    Thank You for the GREAT advice!
    My Blog

OK, I am puzzled about why you are digging the compost at all. I have a large covered bin with the bottom open and resting on pavers. It has a little door in front to remove compost periodically. The worms break down all my contributions fairly quickly. The only stuff that is slow to decompose is twigs, tomato or bean vines so I put them into the municipal green waste.

My bin looks sort of like this https://www.amazon.com/Algreen-Produ...AWTJEY1VRG6KB7
    I put it on pavers to discourage the rodents that were coming to visit although they did stir up the compost very well.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information