Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Better Way

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    It is all governed by our individual thought.
    I agree with your post. Concerning the above, yes, and I would add that we (humans) have the ability to train our thoughts! Just like a martial arts practitioner can train their body to react instinctively, we can train our minds/thoughts the same way. I don't have links, but one can go out to His Holiness the Dalai Lama website to listen to discussions and read about the mind studies that have been and continue to be conducted. It's all very interesting. And, as you said, it is governed by each individual's thoughts, AND each individual has the ability to change/shape their own thoughts.

I think a lot of people don't want the onus of having to do such "work" themselves. It's easier to place the onus on someone or something else, than to have to come to the realization of how/what they really think and do... what the true motivations are behind their thoughts and actions. And, yes, I am also guilty of this! But, I'm trying!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I think Dan Price’s action was interesting and I’m glad his company is still thriving. I wasn’t sure so sure that was gonna happen, but good for him.

I’m not so sure Roger’s reference coffee shop will survive, this economy is brutal for food and beverage, so if it doesn’t survive it won’t necessarily be because of the high prices but because it’s just capitalism acting on a very shrunk market.

The Panera/st louis bread co store here that operated on essentially donations closed last year. But it was a success for eight years, so it did pan out.

https://apnews.com/2a9eacaf24ba4e349...souri-to-close

But back to Roger’s coffee shop: Perhaps you all would be in favor of the government regulating coffee shop so that every latte cost $6.75. Would you all like that?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

But back to Roger’s coffee shop: Perhaps you all would be in favor of the government regulating coffee shop so that every latte cost $6.75. Would you all like that?
    Not at all! That would defeat the point, which as razz and happystuff pointed out, is an individual choice; plus the idea of a gift economy is to give the individual patrons the option of what to pay. So there is MORE freedom in that model, not less.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That's just the same old "all or nothing" argument that usually ends up going nowhere. You want to try government regulation - sure let's try it! That also provides the "someone else to blame" if it doesn't work.

The OP was talking about looking for "a better way, if we open our eyes". And things can and are being done on the individual level - "through the inspiration of a founder of a successful financial enterprise, or a simple Vermont farmer". People stepping up and doing/trying and succeeding.

Edited to add: Government regulation is not a requirement for this to work - as has clearly been proven by just the two examples presented. I would hazard a guess that there are many more like situations that currently exist as well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

I’m not so sure Roger’s reference coffee shop will survive, this economy is brutal for food and beverage, so if it doesn’t survive it won’t necessarily be because of the high prices but because it’s just capitalism acting on a very shrunk market.

I think there will be niche markets for some businesses that offer some community responsibility and high quality products, at a price. Like Patagonia. I've followed a few local certified "B" corps. Some prosper and a couple have gone belly up. My take is that there is a large portion of the population that favors lower quality and high quantity for a lower cost. I guess that capitalism gives us that choice.

I don't agree with government regulation, but it seems like there could be government incentives for responsible behavior. That would probably be a quagmire of politics and bureaucracy, so maybe it's out there in Bernie land somewhere.

My experience over the decades is that regulation and bureaucracy exist (in government as well as in the private sector) as an institutional reaction to people who do not treat others as they would want to be treated and an institutional failure in addressing those specific people. The person who embezzles from his/her company by falsifying his/her expense account gives rise to a bunch of Mickey Mouse rules about which expenses are allowed and how many eyes and hands have to pass judgement on a submitted report. There are regulations about taking off your shoes at the airport security line because we cannot allow the kind of profiling done by other countries. Sometimes regulation is a power grab. But, often, it's an oversized reaction to someone who didn't want to play well with others.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Not at all! That would defeat the point, which as razz and happystuff pointed out, is an individual choice; plus the idea of a gift economy is to give the individual patrons the option of what to pay. So there is MORE freedom in that model, not less.
    I agree, Just wasn’t sure what your take on it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    My experience over the decades is that regulation and bureaucracy exist (in government as well as in the private sector) as an institutional reaction to people who do not treat others as they would want to be treated and an institutional failure in addressing those specific people. The person who embezzles from his/her company by falsifying his/her expense account gives rise to a bunch of Mickey Mouse rules about which expenses are allowed and how many eyes and hands have to pass judgement on a submitted report. There are regulations about taking off your shoes at the airport security line because we cannot allow the kind of profiling done by other countries. Sometimes regulation is a power grab. But, often, it's an oversized reaction to someone who didn't want to play well with others.
    I must say, this is one of the better explanations I've read re:government regulations. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I must say, this is one of the better explanations I've read re:government regulations. Thanks for sharing.
    I agree. If we would only volunteer to do the right thing, we wouldn't need laws at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Sometimes when I see inexplicable selfish behavior, I wonder if it doesn't go back to how we are parented. However, if you observe young toddlers, some are naturally willing/wanting to share and others are trying to grab for themselves. Can respect for others and cooperation be taught? I think my Catholic upbringing certainly molded me to be more empathetic than the average bear even though I am no longer religious.

Thread Information