Thread: Tortillas - never buy again!

Tortillas - never buy again!

Tonight I made up a really nice guacamole, then noticed I was out of tortillas.

The Market is a 7 minute drive each way, plus then I'd need to deal with the covid-tourist-zombies. Bother.

Wait, I watched "Tortilla Flats" last night, where the Dad lovingly hand-made a tortilla just to use in his signature tortilla soup. It looked simple enough, and what looked like the whole recipe was shown in seconds in the film.

Well, took me 3 minutes to mix up the dough as best I guessed, cooked the little guys in a cast iron skillet with a teeny bit of oil until they looked correct, and, man....

Wow. So easy, so good, and pretty darned quick. Way faster than driving to the market. I suspect 1/10 the materials cost too, just flour, water, salt, some oil.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Tonight I made up a really nice guacamole, then noticed I was out of tortillas.

The Market is a 7 minute drive each way, plus then I'd need to deal with the covid-tourist-zombies. Bother.

Wait, I watched "Tortilla Flats" last night, where the Dad lovingly hand-made a tortilla just to use in his signature tortilla soup. It looked simple enough, and what looked like the whole recipe was shown in seconds in the film.

Well, took me 3 minutes to mix up the dough as best I guessed, cooked the little guys in a cast iron skillet with a teeny bit of oil until they looked correct, and, man....

Wow. So easy, so good, and pretty darned quick. Way faster than driving to the market. I suspect 1/10 the materials cost too, just flour, water, salt, some oil.
    I looked for a recipe. https://www.cocoaandheart.co.uk/blog...ad-recipe.html
    Did you make them with white or whole wheat flour, Bae?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

That's great! Did you roll out or hand shape? I have a terrible time trying to hand shape tortillas and usually end up rolling them.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I love home made tortillas/chapatis, but I find they don't wrap quite as well - they often break on me, particularly if I use them the next day. I even buy special atta flour at the Indian market that specifically says it makes "soft" chapatis.

I'd love to try making corn tortillas---you're inspiring me, Bae.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Just used some random general purpose bread flour I had handy, and a combination of hand-shaping and rolling to experiment with production methods. There's clearly much room for improvement, but the initial experiment came out so nicely that it is quite encouraging.

I'd like to learn to make injera. It requires an extra step of fermentation, but doesn't sound difficult.

Thread Information