Thread: Simple living, bathing style: Does anyone else have an outdoor shower?

Simple living, bathing style: Does anyone else have an outdoor shower?

I added an outdoor shower to our house last year, and we were able to enclose it this year. Our indoor bathroom only has a tub/hand shower. I love the tub and was hoping the outdoor shower would replace the need for an walk-in indoor shower.

So the answer is:

1) I LOVE the outdoor shower. There is NOTHING like taking a shower outdoors and looking at the trees, the sky, the moon, whatever. It's totally functional. It keeps us clean.It's natural. It's great. (after you chase away the toads)

2) I MAY need to replace the tub indoors. I'll see if a better shower enclosure inside does the trick, but I'm not optimistic. For DH, it IS harder to climb into the tub for a shower than have walk-in shower. I'm one of the diminishing few who still loves bubble baths to the tune of the Beatles and a lavender-scented candle.

This is not to complain, or to ask opinions on the virtues of showers vs tubs, but it's just to ask: who else has an outdoor shower? How do you use it? How much do you enjoy it?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

There are those walk-in tubs; don't know how satisfactory they are.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    There are those walk-in tubs; don't know how satisfactory they are.
    Jane, good suggestion, but I'm so not ready for that. I'll take out the tub and put in a walk-in first.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I do not have an outdoor shower, but one of our friends built one for his wife. This is in the middle of urban St. Louis. They had some work to do to get it set up so that people from the urban Mountains could not look down into her urban canyon while she was showering. she’s from Massachusetts so maybe that’s an East Coast thing.

I remember taking tons of outdoor showers when I went camping with my dad, but that’s been 60 years ago. I do remember looking up at the sky while showering.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I remember taking tons of outdoor showers when I went camping with my dad, but that’s been 60 years ago. I do remember looking up at the sky while showering.
    Must be a nice memory.

I'm not sure if it's an East Coast thing, but it may be insofar as a lot of outdoor showers are installed to keep beach sand from entering the house. My great-aunt had an outdoor shower (unenclosed) at my beloved cottage in CT. I hated it because unlike some of my more "affluent" neighbors who had hot/cold water, ours had only cold water (oh, the signals of poverty!). But I stayed under it only long enough to wash the sand off my feet.

Maybe my appreciation of my VT shower is tied to my memories of the beach cottage. It's true that not too many people see any reason to have outdoor showers these days, but I do recommend it.

I can’t afford to pay for my neighbors therapy)

We have an open outdoor shower with cold water only. It dates back to our pool and small kid days, both of which are over. Hubby still uses it occasionally, and doesn't care who sees him streaking. I only use it after yard work.

Sounds excellent for those with swimming and sand to contend with. We had one when I was little and lived on the beach on St. Simon's.

I feel cheated; I lived at the beach and we didn't have one. Any extra sand was simply hosed off.

I’m with Jane. Grew up a block from the beach. By the time we got home, all you had to do was brush yourself off...

Thread Information