Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Census

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Having seen census results from the past, I was sorely disappointed that it was so perfunctory. I filled it out on line at the first opportunity.
    Apparently they did not produce a long form this time. So many important issues brought to light by that in the past such as demographics of households that spend $$$ on athletic shoes.

I am sorta being smart aleck, sorta not. Long form questions did give interesting data.

I remember 40 years ago that my grandparents received the long form. When we went to visit for spring break they asked my father to help complete it since neither of them had gotten more than about a third grade education. It was interesting how nervous my step-grandmother was about the answers. Things like insisting that her former husband be listed as deceased (by that point he was) rather than the truth which was that he had left home one morning and never came back.

I got the long form in 1980, it was my first census form and I didn't immediately realize everyone didn't get the same thing. I don't remember what type of questions were asked but I do recall that it wasn't just long, it was really long. The ones I've received since then have been a breeze, this year's took maybe a minute to complete.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I got the long form in 1980, it was my first census form and I didn't immediately realize everyone didn't get the same thing. I don't remember what type of questions were asked but I do recall that it wasn't just long, it was really long. The ones I've received since then have been a breeze, this year's took maybe a minute to complete.
    I got the long form in 2000. I believe it was 21-22 pages. It was a packet.

I also thought everybody got that one too and wondered why everyone looked at me weird when I complained about the intrusiveness of the questions.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Having seen census results from the past, I was sorely disappointed that it was so perfunctory. I filled it out on line at the first opportunity.
    I was delighted it was so perfunctory. I identified as “mongrel”.

Thread Information