Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Old Style Cars

Restomods. That is where an old vehicle, is upgraded with a modern engine/drivetrain/brakes, suspension, etc.
    For instance, my 71 VW SB, I've debated doing the Subug swap (Subaru engine in the VW), with a full brake upgrade (four disc brakes, dual master cylinder). The power upgrade would also allow for a/c.

I do know of one instance, where a person tried to get just a physical key, for entry and starting the vehicle and couldn't. The company couldn't understand why they needed it, until they found out surfer, with no place to keep a key dry.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I do know of one instance, where a person tried to get just a physical key, for entry and starting the vehicle and couldn't. The company couldn't understand why they needed it, until they found out surfer, with no place to keep a key dry.
    You'd think some enterprising manufacturer of sport utility vehicles would come up with a key fob that was IP67 or IP68 water resistant (like some mobile phones). That would solve that problem.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    You'd think some enterprising manufacturer of sport utility vehicles would come up with a key fob that was IP67 or IP68 water resistant (like some mobile phones). That would solve that problem.
    That’s what “valet” keys are for! This is an issue with divers. Get a plain key that will just open the driver’s door. Then you get the “real” key out to start car, open trunk, etc. I have a little zippered pocket on the inside of my dry suit, attached to suspenders. I could put the valet key in there. Don’t have to worry about the electronics, etc. You hide the real key somewhere in the car, like center console.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    That’s what “valet” keys are for! This is an issue with divers. Get a plain key that will just open the driver’s door. Then you get the “real” key out to start car, open trunk, etc. I have a little zippered pocket on the inside of my dry suit, attached to suspenders. I could put the valet key in there. Don’t have to worry about the electronics, etc. You hide the real key somewhere in the car, like center console.

Thank you. I've always wondered what that worthless key was for.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yppej
    Good news - a thorough diagnostic including checking codes, two test drives, and looking under the hood at components including the head gasket uncovered no problems. I now feel safe driving my car. It was at the shop over 8 hours (mostly waiting its turn) so I didn't get the $10 multipoint inspection on other components as we were running out of time, but that isn't due for another 6500 miles anyways.

That's great! May you be on the road together for a long time to come. (you and the car, that is....)

Yppej
    Thanks EM.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    The CVT transmission was invented in 1879. It predates the "automatic" transmission by decades.
    Thank you for the information, I did not know that transmissions for so many years.

Thread Information