Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Old Style Cars

Yppej

New Old Style Cars

In case the governor shuts down test drives due to a second wave I have been checking out some vehicles. I like to buy new but I do not like some of the features on new cars.

I do not like CVT transmission. My AAA magazine this month talked about problems with this newer technology. I like regular automatic transmission.

I do not like keyless entry. Your car can get hacked and stolen, and it is another thing that can break. My son has my old 2007 Elantra and the remote no longer works but he can still get in the car with the key. Keyless would not allow this.

I do not need electronics, bells and whistles. One car I had didn't even have a radio. What matters to me are affordability, gas mileage, reliability, and cost to maintain. For instance, I like cars that take conventional rather than synthetic oil because that is cheaper.

Is there a car out there for me or am I a hopeless relic?

You could order a car with the features you want versus buying off the lot.

I suspect key less entry can be disabled by the dealer or a mechanic? Worth a google search if it comes to it. My Toyota can be locked and unlocked with just the key or with the key less feature so key less is not required if one chooses, so would not necessary if it's disabled.

I do not know the answer to you question jep, but
    I am with you in wanting stripped down cars without features. But I have to say, automatic transmission is not very basic.

I would be surprised if you can order non-keyless entry. But my Fiatta has a method to start without the key fob, so I would guess other cars have that? It’s just that it’s so complex I would never remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    My son has my old 2007 Elantra and the remote no longer works but he can still get in the car with the key. Keyless would not allow this.
    I've had 3 cars with keyless entry/push button start and rather enjoyed the fact I never need take the key out of my pocket. Of the three I owned, there was a key hidden in the fob and a sliding cover on the driver door handle to insert it. I'd guess that all of them do but not certain of that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I hate all that crap too, jeppy!! I drive manual transmissions, though. Hyundai has pretty basic stuff - I don't think you have to have a keyless on the cheaper models. I'm on my second Accent - it's 7 years old and going strong. Have you considered a manual? It's really not hard to drive a stick unless you have a left knee/ankle problem. I made both of my kids learn to drive on one, and they both still prefer a stick to an auto. Better gas mileage too.

Yppej
    I tried learning manual as a teen and I could never get it. I am on my second Hyundai but had a falling out with the local dealership, the only one convenient to where I live for service. I may have to go with a vehicle with CVT and a long powertrain warranty.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I suspect key less entry can be disabled by the dealer or a mechanic? Worth a google search if it comes to it. My Toyota can be locked and unlocked with just the key or with the key less feature so key less is not required if one chooses, so would not necessary if it's disabled.
    The keyless key also started the car and there was no ignition slot for a key so I'm not sure how that would work on the models I looked at.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I do not like CVT transmission. My AAA magazine this month talked about problems with this newer technology.
    The CVT transmission was invented in 1879. It predates the "automatic" transmission by decades.

https://www.gasenginemagazine.com/ga...f-two-brothers

Enjoyed the article, bae - thanks for sharing! You know the most interesting things.....

Thread Information