Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Old Style Cars

I have a CVT transmission, nothing fancy just means I buy Japanese cars, yea always have.

You feel how much smoother the ride is, SMOOTH ... More fuel efficient, yes, but not dramatic, however for a standard gas powered engine if you look at the years before CVT and after for the model, published fuel efficiency went up. I looked before buying. But if you want big gains in fuel efficiency it's not in this, it's in hybrids obviously, electric cars, maybe hydrogen cars (ha only CA has fueling stations for hydrogen cars at all). There is no replacing the timing belt on CVT I believe.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've had 3 cars with keyless entry/push button start and rather enjoyed the fact I never need take the key out of my pocket. Of the three I owned, there was a key hidden in the fob and a sliding cover on the driver door handle to insert it. I'd guess that all of them do but not certain of that.
    My keyless entry fob has the internal key you can use if necessary--which I did when my battery died with the doors locked. It's no trouble to pull it out and use it.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    My keyless entry fob has the internal key you can use if necessary--which I did when my battery died with the doors locked. It's no trouble to pull it out and use it.
    Yep, I tested each of mine too, just to make sure. lol
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yep, I tested each of mine too, just to make sure. lol
    And frankly, my car is more "old school" than "new school"--it will be a classic in only 7 years.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have a general preference for vehicles with as few "features" as I can find. I typically keep a car 20+ years, and "features" tend to break in expensive ways or become frustrating as they age.

Alas, modern cars are required to have so many new safety features that it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a simple vehicle. Even the simple pickup truck I got a couple of years ago is festooned with collision avoidance sensors, auto-follow cruise control, backup cameras, lane departure warning systems, blind spot detection, etc, etc.

When I had a rock break the windshield, I found out that many of the expensive sensors for these features are integral to the windshield, which is now much much more expensive than you would think, as it is much more than a piece of glass. It also required software calibration when installed.....

My Jeep still has a key. I would have gone with roll up windows if I could have gotten it without power door locks. But it’s the last of that model, new ones are keyless.

Reason #14 why I want to keep my car running. It, too, is just a few years shy of "classic". Just enough nice stuff -- power windows and locks, a decent sound system, and a manual transmission. Only things I wish it had were ESC (an option that year but it's not on the one I bought) and heated seats (though apparently those really drag down mileage on these cars). Otherwise, pretty simple and built to stay that way.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I love my simple car. It's ten years old and has roll up windows. I do need to replace the cd player, which has been broken now for eight years.

Yppej
    I booked an appointment next Saturday to take my car in and see what all it may need. I am getting a $99 diagnostic not just the $10 multipoint inspection. I would like to keep it but when I accelerate hard lots of white smoke comes out of the exhaust and the check engine light comes on briefly, which could be something serious like a head gasket. It drives fine otherwise, no leaks on the driveway or where I park at work, temperature is fine, coolant level is ok. So I feel like if I drive like the stereotypical old lady I might be okay.

The car first did this years ago and I thought it was built up gunk because I never revved it, then nothing for years, but lately it has been happening more. One time I was briefly not able to steer the car. So that scared me and now I putt putt along if there is not a huge space in traffic for me to pass gradually. I am spending a lot of time behind road construction vehicles and other slowpokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I love my simple car. It's ten years old and has roll up windows. I do need to replace the cd player, which has been broken now for eight years.
    In the spirit of decluttering our lives, if you haven't missed the CD player in eight years, do you need to replace it?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information