Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bailout For The Restaurant Industry?

Bae, many people work in restaurants because they make great money and don’t need to go to college.
    and meanwhile we probably don't want to pay people fighting fires much more than oh say the prison labor that was doing it before covid were getting (hint: not even minimum wage)
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Funny you say that--DS is thinking of going back to school to be a social worker.
    In my twenties I waited tables at the same time that my brother worked an entry level government job as a social worker after graduating. I recall that, counting tips, our wages were similar. Social workers are grossly underpaid for what they do. My brother burned out by 55 and retired with a comfortable retirement and health plan. He become a bit of a misanthropist for a while. I suppose it all depends on a person's personality and their job assignments. He had cases involving domestic violence and child placements. Then again, I've never been much on restaurant food and being waited on after my experiences.

I could have had such a job--they were commonly dangled before liberal arts majors back in the day--but I foresaw a life of counseling desperate people in the wilds of Coos Bay as a one-way trip to major depression.

The few social workers I knew were all misanthropists. I think I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Are you a lifelong vegetarian? Or are you able to compare the substitutes to meat?
    I have been a vegetarian for 20 years. I don't consume a lot of substitutes, and resisted the impossible burger for a long time, until I learned they could cook it separately.
    I love it. Is like a "real" whopper, no - but again it has been 20 years! My wife is not a vegetarian, and she likes it.

When I eat a substitute I try not to compare it to what it is replacing - if that makes sense. It is just something "different" to have between a bun with lettuce, pickles, and tomato.
    If I am stuck on having to have fast food, I would like another option besides fries.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    When I eat a substitute I try not to compare it to what it is replacing - if that makes sense. It is just something "different" to have
    That's my take with eating keto. There are so many recipes out there for "keto coffee cake" or "keto pizza" or "keto noodle soup" and none of them will fool anyone used to eating the real thing. I find it better to avoid most of those anyway; not ever having been a fan of sweets, that's not very hard but I'm also not into acquiring weird ingredients like sugar-free pancake syrup or heavily-processed fake "dough".

If I make phở with bean sprouts instead of noodles or if I put a chicken breast on a bed of cauliflower rice instead of white rice, I know darn well it's not the usual item. But it's still tasty. it's its own thing and it sinks or swims on its own merits.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

When dining or planning a menu, I simply choose a starch, a protein and lots of veggies with fruit as a dessert. I don't get caught up in comparing or substituting. Some days, for protein, I enjoy nuts, other days it might be legumes and other days, eggs or dairy like cheese and some meats on different days.
    For a starch, it might be a bread (tortilla, loaf, bun, pancake, etc), or a rice or pasta or squash or potato or peas, corn, carrots, etc.
    I suppose that makes me a flextarian. I think that mostly I am just grateful for the diversity that is available in food and diet options.

As far restaurant financial support especially with cooler weather coming in the northern areas, as a flextarian I prefer to simply order a takeout once a week and add a tip rather than tax dollars leading the country further into debt that future generations have to pay.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Restaurants may never get back all their business considering how many people have taken up a hobby of cooking at home almost in the pandemic. It's not really that much of a hobby for me, it's just what one has to do if one wants to eat, and most of the time I do, and when I don't there is restaurant take out.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Restaurants may never get back all their business considering how many people have taken up a hobby of cooking at home almost in the pandemic.
    I think we will revert to the mean as the pandemic recedes over time. Never underestimate the power of laziness.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I think we will revert to the mean as the pandemic recedes over time. Never underestimate the power of laziness.
    Or maybe people just like an evening out occasionally.
    But I'd rather be a chronic layabout than a chronic cynic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Or maybe people just like an evening out occasionally.
    But I'd rather be a chronic layabout than a chronic cynic.
    What is cynicism, if not a species of laziness?

Thread Information