Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailout For The Restaurant Industry?

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Bailout For The Restaurant Industry?

Do you believe the restaurant industry should get bailed out? I do - for one reason only. The business has been a source of fairly easy to get employment employing untold millions of Americans for years. What could take it's place in terms of employment volume?

What do you think? Rob

Yppej
    To me restaurants have always been a luxury not a necessity. I would try to shift their employees to things like making PPE in factories until the pandemic is over, or picking crops since labor markets have been disrupted. These are also jobs that do not require formal education or clean criminal records.

It continues to puzzle me how some people who are very critical of others' behavior in the pandemic go out to eat regularly now. I can count on one hand the number of times our family went out to eat during the 18 years when I was growing up. It is NOT a necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Do you believe the restaurant industry should get bailed out? I do - for one reason only. The business has been a source of fairly easy to get employment employing untold millions of Americans for years. What could take it's place in terms of employment volume?

What do you think? Rob
    It will be a source of easy to get employment again, the question is if the same players will be in the game. If the chains or the solo shops go under due to the government not letting them operate, they'll eventually be replaced by new players. As long as there's demand for a service, someone will fill it.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Restaurants are luxuries, and often live atop the backs of their workers.

I don't see spending a single dime from the public purse to come to their aid.

In my area there have been a few boom and bust cycles in the energy industry. Not just office workers but drillers and oil field workers. I've lived in a town that entered into some sort of rust belt scene when the town's steel mill laid most everyone off, and a small mining town that was reduced to t-shirt shops when gold mining went under. A lot of blue color and semi-skilled workers have lost jobs because of changing situations. I hate to seem harsh, but I don't know if it's the government's responsibility to come to the aid of the restaurants businesses any more than others.

How would this industry bailout work? What entire industries could you use as an example?
    Individual restaurants have been bailed out, via PPP loans. Also, what I know has happened, has lots of people have tried supporting their local businesses, rather then chains. Chain's have done all kinds of modifications to keep or increase their business, they adapt.

Americans won’t pick crops. It’s really hard work. Restaurants have always come and gone. It’s a tough business. Growing up we rarely ate out. People have more disposable income now than in past generations.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Americans won’t pick crops. It’s really hard work. Restaurants have always come and gone. It’s a tough business. Growing up we rarely ate out. People have more disposable income now than in past generations.
    Like some of you I come from the generation that did pick crops. As soon as school was out, we picked strawberries and then we strung blue lake pole beans and when they were ready to pick we were there almost until school started again. Good times!

I think it is hard to pick and choose which businesses are "worthy" of government help. I am always amazed when a new restaurant opens how many people they say they will be hiring. I think with some government help many will weather the virus storm and should get part of the government help.

I was sad to see that from about day one "Sweet Tomatoes" (Souplantation) closed for good - being a vegetarian it was one place I enjoyed eating at.

Some local restaurants have opened an outdoor patio and doing quite well, I am told. Once the cooler weather comes, the story will be different.

I make a point, as someone mentioned already, of ordering takeout once a week from a local restaurant and this is sustainable, I believe, as they have modified the hours of operation to suit the demand for service.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Some local restaurants have opened an outdoor patio and doing quite well, I am told. Once the cooler weather comes, the story will be different.

I make a point, as someone mentioned already, of ordering takeout once a week from a local restaurant and this is sustainable, I believe, as they have modified the hours of operation to suit the demand for service.
    I would not assume it is sustainable.

We have members of the restaurant community on our neighborhood board who talk about their situation, and just because they’ve cut hours does not mean that they’re making money. They still have many of the same expenses that have not been cut. Rent for instance. Insurance. Advertising. Etc. . They are all hurting.

Thread Information