Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bailout For The Restaurant Industry?

I doubt it's so much people have more disposable income as less time, I mean if we're comparing to people in the past that didn't even work full time, what kind of a comparison is that.

I think I really just go out/get takeout (and I seldom got takeout before covid) for a few reasons, saving time sometimes when I'm to tired too cook, but sometimes just wanting to get out of the house. So it's not that I can't cook perfectly good, often frankly better food, but that I'm so tired of these 4 walls, I want to hang out somewhere different, be in a different atmosphere, and yea hopefully tasty food with no effort is part of it! That is the restaurant experience. (but housewives or something of yesteryear never needed to just get out of the house, I don't know they must have lost their minds) If I want to save money, maybe I just go to a coffee place instead to get out of the house get a drink and maybe a pastry on a weekend. Anyway none of that applies with covid, I sometimes don't want to cook and get takeout, but there is no getting out of the house. Today too hot to go anywhere outdoors, too covid to go anywhere indoors. It's hiding in the house and reading with bf, ok got a take out pastry .

Yea I don't know what should get govt help, except there was the PPP. I mean it's never going to be fair, airlines got a lot of bailout etc., who knows why. They could have subsidized payroll and controlled covid (like Denmark) and the economy would be in much better shape. However neither was done. I mean what should get the money were there any bills that could pass: states and cities.
    Trees don't grow on money

I read an article a few months ago that hypothesized that many small local restaurants would likely go out of business because of covid, much the same way that most small local brewers went out of business during prohibition. After prohibition only a few big boys (annheiser busch, Miller, coors) remained. And those were beer drinkers’ only choices up until 15ish years ago. The article worried that covid was likely to do the same to restaurants, leaving us only with big chains once it is over Since they can weather a longer period of low earnings. I seriously hope that’s not the case but time will tell.

Interesting comparison that could hold true. The "big" brewery in my neck of the woods was really just a medium sized pre-prohibition regional brewery not unlike many breweries in the country. They adapted to the time by selling malted milk, yeast, malt syrup (for home brewers), and I think non-alcoholic beer. Being big may have been a factor, but they also adapted to the times.

Just ate at Red Robin today - felt very comfortable with the virus protocol and the Impossible Burger was very good!

Our 2 Red Robin’s used to be good but now the food is awful at both.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    Just ate at Red Robin today - felt very comfortable with the virus protocol and the Impossible Burger was very good!
    Are you a lifelong vegetarian? Or are you able to compare the substitutes to meat?

One of the looming threats for restaurants up north is the colder weather. All the restaurants that were able to at least make up some lost revenue with outdoor dining are going to be back in hard times in the fall. My DS's restaurant is all patio dining, and many restaurants in Burlington are planning to close in October. That will force them to be out of business for about 7 months. Who can sustain that?? It's so sad. DS saved enough money to get him through the winter, but it's not going to be easy. And who knows if his restaurant will even survive the winter?

I don't necessarily feel restaurants should get a bailout, but there are a lot of small restaurants that are going to go under.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Retrain restaurant workers to be wildland firefighters and social workers.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Retrain restaurant workers to be wildland firefighters and social workers.
    Funny you say that--DS is thinking of going back to school to be a social worker.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Bae, many people work in restaurants because they make great money and don’t need to go to college. M

Thread Information