Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: September Purge

I read, not for the first time, that you should declutter your "aspirational" items--exercise equipment, art and craft books and supplies, fancy clothes you'll never wear to soirees you'll never get invites to...And boy howdy, do I have aspirational stuff. I really think I'm in the ancient Egyptian mindset that I might need it in the afterlife or something. Fortunately, we have (or maybe had) an arts and crafts thrift store in these parts. I need to do a ruthless purge of things that just sit there looking at me accusingly, and admit that I'll never use those hiking boots, those bales of quilting cotton, or that 3rd sewing machine again.

I love that, "aspirational" clutter. I did some of that several years ago- I knew I would never make those cute cotton jumpers as I had one in the closet that I loved, wore often until I retired and realized I hadn't worn it for a year....thus the lovely fabric I had bought ahead of time....all went to my friend who makes quilts for Africa through her church and loved the 100 percent cotton, pretty and lightweight all one piece fabric. I also sent needlepoint, crewel and macrame projects to Good will that I had been saving "for when I'm in the home" . I've been retired nearly 20 years and hadn't touched them....It's a release!

In order to do all this selling on ebay, my dining room is photo and mailing central and the living room is listing central. BUT, I am totally willing to just ignore it and walk around it to finally get rid of the stuff.

If my hubby had died, I would likely have given the things away. Neither of us really had any idea that there were so many people out there willing to buy these things. I am glad he is taking the initiative now.

Since my 88 year old mother in law got sick, she is committed to using up her yarn for things to donate. I have two big bags of hats and scarves to donate to a local homeless shelter for her.

I am about ready to get rid of my rug hooking stuff. Got a huge guild locally that will have members who will want it. One of those aspirational thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I was sick of the pictures in my kitchen and some in my dining room. I bought new ones so now have 4 for the thrift store plus a few decorative items.
    I think the reason I love our decor and don't tire of it, is that it is all made by me, family, friends or are pieces I purchased directly from the artist.

G, I get sick of stuff after 10-20 years. If a artist did the painting I sell it. Otherwise I give stuff away. Even stuff my family and friends have made.

Made some calls and there are currently no pickups being made in my area, so the donation pile grows. I did find out, however, that the annual fall Town Wide Yard Sale will be held! New motivation!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Had found a big plastic container of oil from the cars (way back when dh was actually changing the oil himself!) and a car battery from the old shed. My mechanic said he would take both for recycling/disposal. Yay!!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That is alucky thing, happystuff!
    We got rid of a lot this week, took it to the Goodwill--
    2 speakers, a receiver, a bag full of records, three boxes of miscellaneous stuff that was nice but time for someone else to get excited about it.

The best part was we both went through all our records and saved what we wanted and had a great time exploring our record collection with some neat discoveries:

1. my husband found out I never threw out his old records as he has been claiming all these years, and he realized I saved all of them, and he had been unfairly accusing me of getting rid of them
    2. I found I had two copies of Mame (Angela Lansbury) and Pyjama Game (Doris Day) so I will save one for my daughter-in-law, who also likes musicals
    3. We managed to get rid of some, but we know what we have now, and it's fun to have them all in the same place.
    4. I have a great Marianne Faithfull record that I didn't know I had, and I know my son will try to steal it.

We have been getting rid of stuff and it makes the stuff that you save that much more precious.

And who knew I had so many Dionne Warwick records-- too many, really.

This year sales of vinyl beat sales of CDs by a large factor. That probably says more about CD market than anything, but I thought that was interesting.

I toO have a store of vinyl record albums on our third floor that will have to come down and go into the garbage. I don’t think they’re worth donating except maybe for one.

Thread Information