Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: September Purge

great work you guys!

I am sharing this just so that Iris Lily can laugh at me. DH is completely overhauling our south garden bed (at a snail's pace). There was a lot of Sedum 'Autumn Joy' and Siberian irises that needed to go, so I posted on our local FB giving page. I think I had 6 pots of sedum and 2 pots or iris to begin with, but I got a great response and that lit a fire under me to pot up a total of 16 sedum and 4 iris based on requests. I still have 3 pots of iris and 2 pots of sedum that were requested and never picked up, including the woman who wanted to pick them up early last Sat morning, so I jumped up from coffee, threw on some clothes and got them out front for her, where they still sit a week later. An old friend requested one of each, didn't come when he said he would, came on a later day and couldn't find the plants (in pots right at the end of the driveway as stated), and we finally delivered them to his front door.
    Would I do it again? Yes. Would I do it differently? Again, yes. I definitely erred on the side of being a bit too accommodating to people getting free stuff. But the sweet young woman down the street made it all worthwhile. She was very grateful, planted immediately and I can see the plants when DH and I walk the neighborhood. Maybe I'll offer her the unclaimed plants.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am sharing this just so that Iris Lily can laugh at me. DH is completely overhauling our south garden bed (at a snail's pace). There was a lot of Sedum 'Autumn Joy' and Siberian irises that needed to go, so I posted on our local FB giving page. I think I had 6 pots of sedum and 2 pots or iris to begin with, but I got a great response and that lit a fire under me to pot up a total of 16 sedum and 4 iris based on requests. I still have 3 pots of iris and 2 pots of sedum that were requested and never picked up, including the woman who wanted to pick them up early last Sat morning, so I jumped up from coffee, threw on some clothes and got them out front for her, where they still sit a week later. An old friend requested one of each, didn't come when he said he would, came on a later day and couldn't find the plants (in pots right at the end of the driveway as stated), and we finally delivered them to his front door.
    Would I do it again? Yes. Would I do it differently? Again, yes. I definitely erred on the side of being a bit too accommodating to people getting free stuff. But the sweet young woman down the street made it all worthwhile. She was very grateful, planted immediately and I can see the plants when DH and I walk the neighborhood. Maybe I'll offer her the unclaimed plants.
    It is enormous satisfaction when you see your giveaway plants In the ground blooming their heads off!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It is enormous satisfaction when you see your giveaway plants In the ground blooming their heads off!
    Yes it is! I have Sedum Autumn Joy, Stella D'Ore daylilies and Shasta daisies all over town! I'm in desperate need of dividing again. Last year I couldn't find any takers. I may have to kill some this fall and divide anyway.

I had another binge of going through stuff.

Today so far: In my bookcase was a many inch stack of magazine articles torn out over the years and the remainder of the mag recycled. Well, out of the stack? I retained 6 pages. Most were workouts. Well hell, who is going to thumb through all that....besides I am an epic fail at workout since December when I started having significant knee pain that only stays away when I'm a slug

So, quite a stack of paper into the recycle bin along with a few items hubster wouldn't let me toss last time I did this, but he's at the cabin and I am absolutely certain he's not been perusing them. He'll never miss them.

I am thoroughly enjoying my purging this week. The thrift store was happy to receive my half trunk full of stuff. Even the paint covered sweats which I pointed out as not wanting to dump trash on them. She assured me they would get used somewhere and it just might be an employee who takes them home-no charge. Ok!

I was sick of the pictures in my kitchen and some in my dining room. I bought new ones so now have 4 for the thrift store plus a few decorative items.

September is a great month for purging. Hubby is more than half way thru selling his collections. He has made 3X the amount offered by the dealer. (it is all going directly from Ebay to our selected charities). Will be almost a whole room of stuff when done. I am taking two armloads of quilt tops to a friend to finish for donation as well as 10+ pillowcase kits and some cross stitch things she might like.

Cleaned out more books, dvds, cds and all going to library sale.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    September is a great month for purging. Hubby is more than half way thru selling his collections. He has made 3X the amount offered by the dealer. (it is all going directly from Ebay to our selected charities). Will be almost a whole room of stuff when done. I am taking two armloads of quilt tops to a friend to finish for donation as well as 10+ pillowcase kits and some cross stitch things she might like.

Cleaned out more books, dvds, cds and all going to library sale.
    Oh man you are making fabulous progress! I haven’t seriously started on my book collection that I have to get rid of.

In the past I never dreamed of trying to unload it on eBay, but yeah since we are all sitting here in downtime due to Covid, I’ll give it a try. But I doubt most of it will be worth selling on eBay, maybe 1 in 20?

I was at my friend’s house and I have helped her declutter numerous times. She has been going to garage sales without getting rid of stuff. It’s painful to watch the build up. They live in 1800 sq ft so plenty of space.

Late Saturday afternoon, I strolled through my quilt book collection (just 3/4 shelf in my bookcase). I had 6 on techniques I am NEVER going to do again. I put them on my FB Buy Nothing group. Picked up within the hour! If I paid full price-which is likely, I just saved her over $200.

Thread Information