Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: September Frugals

  1. #21
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,122
    I saved money because I did not buy a condo this month. I was all set to buy it and somebody bought it before me. So that’s about $55,000 I didn’t spend.

    OTOH DH spent $4500 on an old tractor at auction. DH doesn’t spend any money, well hardly ever. The last time he spent a sum of money was 16 years ago when he bought a nice car. He’s been wanting an old tractor for a long time. Because now we have a farmette! So now we need a 1950s or 1960s tractor it’s one or the other. Roll my eyes. I’m not sure what he’s gonna do with it, but he really wanted one.

  2. #22
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,512
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

    OTOH DH spent $4500 on an old tractor at auction.
    Farmall?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  3. #23
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    17,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Farmall?
    Massey Ferguson. But he is in love with Cockshutt, too.

  4. #24
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    7,512
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Massey Ferguson. But he is in love with Cockshutt, too.
    Well who isn't? The early 50's Cockshutt 20 would be just about the perfect size for an acre or more.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,614
    We had an old Ford 8n. It was great.

    Watch out Iris, or you're going to be living out on that family farm soon. Maybe get the condo now.

  6. #26
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6,525
    Those old tractors are easy to service and keep on trucking. My parents had an 8N when I was growing up and it was a workhorse.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  7. #27
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,093
    I cut DH's hair again yesterday. This was the third time; the clipper set paid for itself on the second cut so now we are actually saving some money.
    More significantly, DH has decided to go back to work on 10/1 for 20 hours per week. The hospital has stayed in touch and made it very clear that they wanted him back. They reached out again yesterday offering him a shift because someone is leaving. This will be good for the budget, although I will miss having him here all day. He'll be working Mon - Fri 7:30AM - 11:30AM, so at least we'll still have afternoons.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,352
    Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I cut DH's hair again yesterday. This was the third time; the clipper set paid for itself on the second cut so now we are actually saving some money.
    More significantly, DH has decided to go back to work on 10/1 for 20 hours per week. The hospital has stayed in touch and made it very clear that they wanted him back. They reached out again yesterday offering him a shift because someone is leaving. This will be good for the budget, although I will miss having him here all day. He'll be working Mon - Fri 7:30AM - 11:30AM, so at least we'll still have afternoons.
    Good luck to your dh. I hope he is able to stay safe and healthy.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

  9. #29
    Senior Member rosarugosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eastern Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,093
    Thanks, Happystuff. I hope so too. It is encouraging that none of the employees in his dept have gotten sick, so presumably the right precautions are being taken. I don't believe they ever had a lot of Covid cases there either.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •