Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoom meetings question

Zoom meetings question

Has anyone here attended a Zoom meeting where some of the participants Meet physically and others are present via virtual Zoom meeting software?

I ask because there’s a meeting of our plant society next Sunday and I don’t want to attend. It is outside and it is expected for people to wear masks and sit far apart. But still I don’t want to attend because it’s unnecessary for the main reason that they’re holding an auction. I have no interest in that. But the business meeting portion I should probably hear.

Up to now they refuse to set up a zoom meeting because they say too many of the participants don’t know how to use Zoom.

Will I be able to hear enough of the meeting if I am a Zoom participant and the officers are conducting the meeting in person?

Depends on how you're connecting and the quality of the equipment on both ends. Everyone will do better if you're using a headset with a microphone. Even the one you use with your phone will be better than relying on the speaker/mic on your phone/tablet/laptop. On their end, better if they're using halfways decent equipment (like a teleconference phone instead of the speaker on someone's smartphone). You might also choose to join via audio only if that equipment is better than what you have with your video camera and you don't need to be seen to participate.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yes, as long as their computer is in a place where the speakers (participants) are relatively close by (and as Steve said, good quality). I did a wedding shower where there were 30 participants, and then I invited 20 family members to join via Zoom. It was great!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

If the in person people are going to be outside and socially distancing it’s going to be a mess unless they all connect individually.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If the in person people are going to be outside and socially distancing it’s going to be a mess unless they all connect individually.
    Yes, OK. That’s what they’re saying above. I hadn’t really thought it through but if social distancing is really taking place and people are spread all over the yard then they’re not gonna be sitting in front of a computer monitor.

I guess I will have to attend the damn meeting in person

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, OK. That’s what they’re saying above. I hadn’t really thought it through but if social distancing is really taking place and people are spread all over the yard then they’re not gonna be sitting in front of a computer monitor.

I guess I will have to attend the damn meeting in person
    Unless you need to see the in-person crowd, I don't see why it should matter - as long as you can hear/see the person running the meeting and hear the topics of the business aspect, it should be fine.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

IL, will they each have a computer handy? Then they can all log into the zoom meeting and you'll be able to hear them well, and they can participate live also.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    IL, will they each have a computer handy? Then they can all log into the zoom meeting and you'll be able to hear them well, and they can participate live also.
    None of them plan to have a computer handy as far as I know. I’m trying to convince them to have a Zoom meeting. But even if there is a computer it’s just gonna be one there. And who knows if the house even has Wi-Fi that reaches out to the yard although I suppose that is standard? Wi-Fi reaches out to both of my yards.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And who knows if the house even has Wi-Fi that reaches out to the yard although I suppose that is standard? Wi-Fi reaches out to both of my yards.
    Not standard here. Because of where the router is in the house, the signal much beyond our back door is iffy. Which is fine with me; there are enough wireless routers in the neighborhood spraying around IDs that less overlap is A Good Thing. Too bright outside to see the screen well anyway.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I was absolutely delighted to learn that my Wi-Fi reaches at least halfway out into our acre farmette in Hermann. Before I learned that, I had elaborate plans to set up some kind of radio system that blasts into the yard so I could weed and listen at the same time. But no need for this with Wi-Fi reception out in the iris beds, although now I have to worry about my iPads turning themselves off due to heat exhaustion.

Thread Information