Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food canning and processing frustrations

I have been to several supermarkets and stores that sell canning supplies (like Menard's) and have not found pickling salt anywhere. Finally decided to go with Kosher salt and will just measure differently.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

https://www.freshpreserving.com/products

This Ball Kerr website is delightful. I got a canning basket that holds just 3 pint jars from them years ago, but it looks like they don't carry it anymore or really sell from the site anymore either.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Update:
    I could not accept that the snap lids did not seal at all. Yesterday, I canned 6 pint jars of fresh stewed tomatoes with added lemon juice in a water bath. They all sealed perfectly. All my previous efforts were with pressure canning which failed often. Same temp, same canner, but water bath sealed.

I was told on Friday that the box of 12 snap lids are now being sold for up to $6.99. I grumbled last fall when I paid $3.56 per box. Apparently more people are now both gardening and preserving produce this year and the suppliers are struggling to catch up with demand so prices spiked.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information