Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To paint or not to paint??

To paint or not to paint??

in exactly 9 days my in-laws will descend upon us for my daughter's wedding.

We offered our home/yard for the wedding which means I have a sh**load of work to do. Some of it involves painting the interior. I've had 3 years to pick a color and the time to decide is NOW.

I'm posting a) pictures of the interior of my house, without much furniture, so you can see the colors and b) the Pinterest article I found that is EXACTLY the vision I see for my house.

Here are the questions:

1) the moulding around the windows and the shelving is dark brown stain, but the ceilings and floors are honey pine. Do I paint the dark brown white?
    2) The house is colorful, which I love, but every house I like has a good bit of it pained neutral. Should I paint the living room walls (now currently green) a creamy off-white?--I'm afraid to pull the trigger because you can't go back after painting stain.
    3) Should I paint the interior doors? The current doors are cheap hollow-core doors stained a mid-range color. I would paint the doors the same or slightly different analogous color as the walls (in this case a light yellow, because the one colorful wall I would keep is yellow--it brightens up the house).

What do you think??? Should I
    a) not worry about painting at all;
    b) paint the living room and "kitchen", because that needs it the most and don't worry about mouldings or doors; or
    c) take the opportunity to just go for it and paint the whole thing--mouldings, walls, ceilings and doors. Don't worry about DH and DS who like the crayola look

IMG_0232.jpgIMG_4190.jpg

Artcles with my aesthetic:

https://www.thenordroom.com/blog/201...6iQrhvQgyJEu5c

Much more color but adorable (and IL, in Missouri!)
    https://hookedonhouses.net/2016/02/2...pYkSKSMIbUxypw
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    in exactly 9 days my in-laws will descend upon us for my daughter's wedding.

We offered our home/yard for the wedding which means I have a sh**load of work to do. Some of it involves painting the interior. I've had 3 years to pick a color and the time to decide is NOW.

I'm posting a) pictures of the interior of my house, without much furniture, so you can see the colors and b) the Pinterest article I found that is EXACTLY the vision I see for my house.

Here are the questions:

1) the moulding around the windows and the shelving is dark brown stain, but the ceilings and floors are honey pine. Do I paint the dark brown white?
    2) The house is colorful, which I love, but every house I like has a good bit of it pained neutral. Should I paint the living room walls (now currently green) a creamy off-white?--I'm afraid to pull the trigger because you can't go back after painting stain.
    3) Should I paint the interior doors? The current doors are cheap hollow-core doors stained a mid-range color. I would paint the doors the same or slightly different analogous color as the walls (in this case a light yellow, because the one colorful wall I would keep is yellow--it brightens up the house).

What do you think??? Should I
    a) not worry about painting at all;
    b) paint the living room and "kitchen", because that needs it the most and don't worry about mouldings or doors; or
    c) take the opportunity to just go for it and paint the whole thing--mouldings, walls, ceilings and doors. Don't worry about DH and DS who like the crayola look

IMG_0232.jpgIMG_4190.jpg

Artcles with my aesthetic:

https://www.thenordroom.com/blog/201...6iQrhvQgyJEu5c

Much more color but adorable (and IL, in Missouri!)
    https://hookedonhouses.net/2016/02/2...pYkSKSMIbUxypw
    Connie's house is a picture but I would not want to live there. I prefer a serene colour scheme with bright accents and a gorgeous outdoors. That's me. Based on that viewpoint, since you are going to spend some considerable time in this house, I would do what the minimal might be to make you feel comfortable and take your time for the rest to ensure that what you really want is what is done.
    I vote (b).
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I would paint the rooms your company can see. Get rid of the dark brown trim. Creamy off white would be nice for the living room. I like a accent wall of color. One per room is plenty in a small house. I would only paint the doors if they look bad.

Oh catherine, please do not plan any painting project before this wedding. Please remember the pretty outdoor space you are providing for the event. People will be charmed with it. It will be lovely.

And then, when the event is over, Ė yes do paint the woodwork. Iím a lifelong fan of painted woodwork and have always had it. Iím fortunate to live in Victorian neighborhood where painted woodwork was the norm even back then.Doors must be painted as well. Brown trim makes everything look smaller.

Maybe a) or b). I mean on the one hand, yea it's all stress to do all that stuff. And isn't obsessing on how our dwellings look like texbook consumerism - a kind of endless thing where one is never satisfied anyway as there is always some imagined way it could be better, when the point of a dwelling is mostly shelter. I think I've never cared less how home looks in my life since I've had to spend almost all my time there (thank you covid). I mean I cared more when I could leave the darn place and come back to see it and like it. Now, it's just shelter. I guess the argument otherwise is that it is a little dark looking (but even that could be more lighting than paint).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I know I'm in the minority, but I love dark wood trim, especially against an off-white or similar light colored wall. To me, it adds definition.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

The trim looked to me like it’s painted dark brown. If it’s natural wood I would never paint it. I lost years of my life stripping paint off the woodwork and doors in my Kenosha house)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    The trim looked to me like it’s painted dark brown. If it’s natural wood I would never paint it. I lost years of my life stripping paint off the woodwork and doors in my Kenosha house)
    I know... that's. my conundrum. I don't want to paint the stain, which is a point of no return. OTOH, I would prefer something lighter. But the dark stain carries through the entire house, and because it's a small house, if I start to paint the dark trim, it all has to go. The only thing it has going for it is it goes with my mahogany secretary.

I probably won't paint it until after the wedding... if I paint it at all.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Depends entirely on the quality of the woodwork.

As we all know, there are gorgeous old houses with fabulous woodwork that I would never dream of painting. But that is not the houses in my neighborhood, for some reason paint was the standard for 90% of them.

I’ve always avoided houses with natural wood trim. My Hermann house has crappy cheap wood trim that is painted. We will rip that out and have better quality trim, but it will still be painted. The condos I’m obsessing over have painted trim.

There was this trend in the 90s of building new houses with wood stained trim but the doors were white. To this day I look at those and think WTF. That actually hurts my eyes. Perhaps that should be against the law.

Catherine, we need to discuss this again after the wedding.

But my gut reaction is: if you have honey pine on the floor and ceilings are honey pine, keep that ceiling honey pine. I think that’s what you’re planning but I just want to say it out loud.

The beams are dark and I would be fine painting them. I mean we’re not talking about beams that are 200 year old oak trees right? This is not material that is special and old and amazing. Although actually, knowing those thrifty New Englanders, they could very well have Disassembled an old barn and use ancient wood.

Thread Information