Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: To paint or not to paint??

Maybe the secret to our success is the fact that anyone is allowed to have a say in paint colors .
    We passed 35 years in April, and my husband picked the kitchen paint, before this latest round (had to repaint due to new flooring which didn't go as well with old color). That said, I'm better at determining whether something is "warm" or "cool" and how it will appear with the particular lighting of a room. He usually doesn't care, and beige everywhere would be fine with him.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    For the record, although I am most definitely a gay man, you do not want me picking paint colors. And I do not want to pick them for you. I'll let SO help with that just as he is picking all the new furniture for our new place. I happily say "Yes! That looks great!" (and it does. He's much better at that task than me) I'm far more interested in lawn mowers and all that, but alas, we're moving into a townhouse without a yard so I will have to find some other thing to be interested in.
    We have discussed that phenomenon in our neighborhood, the gay man who did not get the gene, the decorating gene! It is unusual here. Haha. But then, we live in a place where everyone is house proud, So probably people who move here are already interested in architecture and decor.

I am the person who actually reads blogs about "which is the best white paint" and go out and get the samples and scrutinize undertones, so I understand if I were married to someone who demanded a certain paint color, things might get difficult. But all decorating decisions of a major nature are always jointly arrived at and take into account both our tastes--my husband, for example, is taller than I am and gets claustrophobic in some houses that I find cozy. He dislikes log cabin wood interiors so those are out. He likes bright spaces and so do I, and white usually accomplishes that more easily. Luckily, our tastes are pretty similar.

Paint can be controversial, though. One of the things that led to my first divorce was that I sponge painted the hall walls--I thought it was pretty, it was a neutral straw on white--and ex husband thought it was "evidence of insanity." Seriously. He was a lawyer, and everything was evidence of some misdeed on my part. He kept a list of all my misdeeds, and added to it frequently.

So some people, you really, really don't want to be married to.

With our Hermann house as with our city house, DH made most of the decisions about construction and room layout, Although we had architects in both cases. But the architects offer choices. I got a say in materials. I am picking wall colors.

Because we do major construction not just paint walls, the decisionS controlled by DH and expressed in dollars are 75% his.

For our Hermann property we could’ve done anything – bulldoze it down and build new, made a big addition to the back that contains staircase and major upgrades, etc. and he vetoed all that. I was on board with the staircase addition.last weekend I was on board to just tear it down and build a new structure because we’re having an impossible time getting the contractor to respond. I figured, OK, we can build a new house easier right? But DH said flat out no we’re not doing that. And he’s right of course. Especially since in the end it’s probably no easier to get a builder of new structures to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I am the person who actually reads blogs about "which is the best white paint" and go out and get the samples and scrutinize undertones, so I understand if I were married to someone who demanded a certain paint color, things might get difficult.
    OMG, I was JUST NOW scrutinizing shades of white!! One of the colors I've been considering for trim/moulding is Timothy Straw, so Tybee, I probably would have LOVED your sponge painting.

In terms of insanity, I ALWAYS resort to one of my favorite quotes (from Man of LaMancha):
    “When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!”

So, I ALWAYS take "evidence of insanity" with a grain of salt.

IL, my vote goes with your DH, and I know you know he's right! BTW, we have a horrible time getting contractors and tradesmen to respond to us!! And I even got Vermont license plates! . I'm just now wondering HOW I can get someone to look at a simple leaky line from the dishwasher to the main water line, because I've already asked three people and they won't do it. So we're going to be hand-washing dishes for 20 people after the rehearsal dinner and wedding.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Love the Timothy Straw. I am mildly obsessed with Lunar Tide and just painted a bed that color. It looks white, or very pale pale green, like a piece of moon cheese, although it doesn't look like it should.

Last night we went out to dinner with our gay friend who has a wonderful house. Bright colors everywhere and serious art. I wanted to pick his brain about several things including kitchen cabinet trends and counter tops.

He is confidently redoing his kitchen with white cabinetry and some gray accent cabinets. He related a fact that another neighborhood gay couple who are sophisticated in decor have redone their kitchen very expensively in white cabinetry. This boosts my confidence in doing white cabinetry in my next place. I have always loved classic white kitchens.

I visited a handsome white kitchen once. It had a black and white tile floor, and reminded me of a laboratory. Nice, but probably not for me. I'm thinking celery green somehow in a kitchen, with black appliances. Which will never happen, but it's nice to contemplate.

I like white cabinets also. All my husbands have liked my decorating. We each play on our strengths. No one has really cared about colors as long as it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I visited a handsome white kitchen once. It had a black and white tile floor, and reminded me of a laboratory. Nice, but probably not for me. I'm thinking celery green somehow in a kitchen, with black appliances. Which will never happen, but it's nice to contemplate.
    I think white cabinets are OK, but not my first choice. Jane, I painted the white cabinets I inherited a color called "wasabi" which I imagine is quite close to celery green--I love it.

I personally believe that white cabinets will fade out as a trend relatively soon because they've been hot for a while now.

Stark colors are not my thing. Maybe because my artist father taught me that "white" and "black" are not really colors at all. But I really think I don't like white cabinets because they're harder to keep clean.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information