Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: To paint or not to paint??

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Damn men! I swear if you don't put us in our place right away we'll think we're entitled to an opinion.
    Not feeling sorry for you. Men decide on the lawn mower etc, the replacement timetable for vehicles, and so many other things. I didn't realize how many until I was on my own and had to make the decisions.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Another reason to invest in a duplex...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Another reason to invest in a duplex...
    I agree, if I weren't allowed input at home I'd either find a more accepting housemate or my own quarters. But, with my 44th anniversary coming up it's obvious that's not necessary., thank goodness.

As a matter of fact, in an effort to promote harmony and remain true to my convictions, I'm going to make myself scarce in this women's only discussion. Sorry for the disruption.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not feeling sorry for you. Men decide on the lawn mower etc, the replacement timetable for vehicles, and so many other things. I didn't realize how many until I was on my own and had to make the decisions.
    Oddly this reminds me of a conversation I had with my mother about 25 years ago. They had recently moved into a condo and dad almost immediately got drafted into being treasurer of the HOA since he was a recently retired accountant. On this particular day that I called my mother she was beside herself with anger because dad was outside running the snowblower on the long sidewalk around the building. "He's nearly 70 years old! He shouldn't be out there doing that!" The building manager, who usually did such things, had recently quit and dad, being one of the youngest members of the board and generally a "take charge and get things done" kind of guy, volunteered to do it. Towards the end of my call dad came back inside and it turned out that he'd had a blast doing it! I've never operated a snowblower so I don't know, but he had found it to be great fun!

I agree, if I weren't allowed input at home I'd either find a more accepting housemate or my own quarters. But, with my 44th anniversary coming up it's obvious that's not necessary., thank goodness.

As a matter of fact, in an effort to promote harmony and remain true to my convictions, I'm going to make myself scarce in this women's only discussion. Sorry for the disruption.
    oh come now.

DH is making most of the house layout decisions in our Hermann property. He vetoed major ideas, and I not argue.

I just want a cute cottagey type place to decorate. He doesn’t have that vision is not his talent in life. But he can see layouts that I cannot, and I trust his judgement with those.

For the record, although I am most definitely a gay man, you do not want me picking paint colors. And I do not want to pick them for you. I'll let SO help with that just as he is picking all the new furniture for our new place. I happily say "Yes! That looks great!" (and it does. He's much better at that task than me) I'm far more interested in lawn mowers and all that, but alas, we're moving into a townhouse without a yard so I will have to find some other thing to be interested in.

Alan, when we bought our last house my husband had the vision and decided which walls to move and all those planning decisions. I suck at that. I am good at paint colors. My mom was great at the big picture stuff and the decorating. My dad wasn’t good at any of that. Each person needs to capitalize on their strengths. The male twins on hgtv are good at all of it. Now we should all be flogged for being sexist)

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Please explain to me the world where the man gets a say in the colors.

I do not live in that world, it’s not a world I wish to live in, I don’t even think it’s a place I want to visit. Unless they are gay men, and then they can come in and decorate my house and choose every color!
    I must admit that I agree on this one. Maybe if I was a coin toss away between two choices, I might ask DH to weigh in and break the tie. Maybe.

Congrats, Alan! We're just a tad behind you--our 44th is coming up in January!!! Maybe the secret to our success is the fact that anyone is allowed to have a say in paint colors .

I'm a bit surprised at the "men aren't allowed" opinions here... Yes, I love decorating and I do believe I have more aptitude in creating the vision and the color palette we both want, but I would never lock DH out of those decisions. And he generally concedes anyway, but if he loves a color or hates a color in the house, I'm going to respect that. We don't have carved-out male-female roles in our household anyway. Our skill set definitely crosses traditional lines: I'm the breadwinner, the one that handles the finances, the practical one, the stoic. OTOH, he has picked out and given me every nice outfit I ever had. He is the party planner, the gourmet cook, the social glue and the one that cries at the drop of a hat*. So the thought that paint colors are not "his domain" and that he should be relegated to plumbing and mowing the lawn seems weird to me.

*If you think you read this already, it's a clip from a post I deleted earlier because I felt it was just a tad too personal and irrelevant to the conversation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Congrats, Alan! We're just a tad behind you--our 44th is coming up in January!!! Maybe the secret to our success is the fact that anyone is allowed to have a say in paint colors .
    Congratulations to you as well Catherine. I think there's obviously a lesson to be learned there.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information