Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To paint or not to paint??

I must have missed the honey pine ceiling; I see painted beams and painted ceiling.

I like the Mill Valley cottage best and I would paint everything lighter. IN the Missouri house, I liked the before house better except I liked the green kitchen cabinets; I painted mine green like that.

Is there a way to just paint the main areas guests will be in?

Do any of your guests have environmental allergies? Sometimes new paint makes me sick, not to be a Debbie Downer, but it's something to think about.

Otherwise I was going to say paint everything before hand because it will be so nice to have it done.

And yeah, I would paint the wood trim, as its not like it's quartersawn oak or something. I knew someone with a Frank LLoyd Wright house and she hand stripped all the wood that someone had painted. But I'd do that for a Frank Lloyd Wright house, too.

Your house has that soaring quality that the Nordroom one does--really gorgeous lines right on the water, so I like the all white.

Please, I beg you – give a trigger warning before telling a tale of painting Frank Lloyd Wright woodwork.

I had to lay down on the sofa at that thought.

Catherine, is this wedding at your house new? Somehow I thought it was to be in Maine.

What a spectacular setting at the lake--great choice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Please, I beg you – give a trigger warning before telling a tale of painting Frank Lloyd Wright woodwork.

I had to lay down on the sofa at that thought.

Haha!! I'm so with you on that one! Man, I go ballistic watching HGTV and they walk into a beautiful old Craftsman home and say, "Ughh.. We have to paint all this woodwork white! I did see one episode of Home Town where Erin did a really tasteful renovation/restoration of an old Craftsman home, but usually you never see that.

As far as my woodwork, the previous owners were thrifty, but that only means they probably grabbed remnant lumber off of a pile somewhere. It's not old barn boards, it's not beautiful oak. They're probably Minwax-coated furring strips.

I would never paint the pine ceiling in the center of the house, but this house is a hodgepodge and there is an add-on ceiling that is covered in very cheap paneling. So I'm painting that Breath of Fresh Air.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I would not be doing any painting before the wedding. 1) too much added stress and 2) new paint smell and guests with unknown sensitivities. I do like the idea of lightening things up by painting the trim a lighter color.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Catherine, is this wedding at your house new? Somehow I thought it was to be in Maine.

What a spectacular setting at the lake--great choice!!!
    OMG, Tybee, that was something else. About a month ago, maybe 6 weeks, we took DD and SIL out on the boat so we could go over wedding plans. Since the time they got engaged, DH lobbied HARD to have it in VT, but I was not really into that idea because of the work.. and the fact that DD chose Maine. That was it.

So he took them to the Pier Bar in North Hero, which is a lovely casual outdoor eating place on the lake. DD had had a couple of glasses of wine, and DH says, "So, B____, where do you really want to get married?" I thought it was a rhetorical question. But her answer was jaw-dropping--she casually said "Grand Isle." As she has later described that moment, it was a record-stopper. There were so many plans already made for Maine!! The caterer was almost decided on. SIL's dad was hand-crafting tables from live-edge wood. SIL's mom was flexing her awesome event planning muscles. And then DD drops this bombshell??? SIL was so angry he got up from the table and didn't speak to her for hours.

DH later felt so sorry for stirring the pot, but I told him that if that's what she really wanted but never said it, at least he gave her the opportunity.

SIL's mom wasn't very happy about the switch, and I had my reservations, given we had to notify all our neighbors that we were using the common land for a weekend (and hope no one objected).

But we got over it. Now I'm kind of glad. It has made planning much easier. And it will be really meaningful. And DH will be so happy because he won't have to leave the island.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I think that is just wonderful. And I am so very glad your husband can stay on the island; I think that is really a good idea.

Good for him for throwing that bombshell into the works (to mix metaphors a little.) A true moment of parental heroism.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think I saw your house in a Lionel Richie video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovo6zwv6DX4

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I think I saw your house in a Lionel Richie video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovo6zwv6DX4
    Haha!! The cursed upside-down photo!

Our Kenosha house wasn’t oak but it was very thick and fancy. It was beautiful once the paint was removed as was the front door. The house was built in 1920.

Thread Information