Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: To paint or not to paint??

I like less color rather than more, a serene backdrop/palette. In your links, I like the CA house, but the MO one would give me a headache.
    I would paint the trim.
    I would not subject myself to the stress of painting before the wedding.

I have seen that Missouri cottage on my ramblings around Realtor.com. It is in my county.

It is the parallel beds that I recognized.

So are you painting or waiting to paint?
    Have you picked a white or other neutral?
    I love cottage makeovers.

Oh, gee. Well, I'm just going to prioritize my list and see how far I get.

#1 Paint the porches with a medium grey deck paint/stain (DH and I had a fight over paint v stain so we didn't buy it at Lowe's this morning)
    #2 Paint the exterior doors: I'm going with a terra cotta which should be nice with the sage green.
    #3 Paint the bedroom (we have the paint and that was our first priority in the spring and here it is fall.) The walls will be "My Skiff" which is lighter than navy, but darker than royal.
    #4 Paint the living room (DH and I also had words about that. He loves the crazy quilt colors on every wall, but I KNOW I can get the same effect with less visual chaos if he trusts me. But he doesn't trust me. He accuses me of painting everything beige, not knowing that I've spent months at this point studying the differences among whites with yellow v blue v pink undertones. .

I really want to clean up that living room--it's a couple of shades of a "dirty" green--but DH and I have some "discussion" left to get through on that. So not sure it will happen before the wedding. We have some more important fights to deal with . It's all about picking your battles, right?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My choice would be to WAIT and not paint before the wedding. Your DD wants it there..that's all that matters. It will be lovely, no one will notice it's not what you want it to look like and if they do..well, fooey on them. Hopefully they are polite enough to keep quiet! A wedding is stressful enough. Just my opinion.

Please explain to me the world where the man gets a say in the colors.

I do not live in that world, it’s not a world I wish to live in, I don’t even think it’s a place I want to visit. Unless they are gay men, and then they can come in and decorate my house and choose every color!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Please explain to me the world where the man gets a say in the colors.

I do not live in that world, it’s not a world I wish to live in, I don’t even think it’s a place I want to visit. Unless they are gay men, and then they can come in and decorate my house and choose every color!
    IL, you shared my thoughts perfectly.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    My choice would be to WAIT and not paint before the wedding. Your DD wants it there..that's all that matters. It will be lovely, no one will notice it's not what you want it to look like and if they do..well, fooey on them. Hopefully they are polite enough to keep quiet! A wedding is stressful enough. Just my opinion.
    That’s what I was thinking! I can’t imagine trying to deal with painting before a wedding!

I would definitely paint before the wedding but no input from a man. Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I would definitely paint before the wedding but no input from a man. Ugh!
    Damn men! I swear if you don't put us in our place right away we'll think we're entitled to an opinion.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information