Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sequoia endangered

Unhappy Sequoia endangered

At my workplace (it's a church) is a beautiful Sequoia. I admire it each day as I pull in. It's strong and healthy. It's also in danger of being cut down. Why? Because its roots are pushing up concrete.

My throat has had a lump in it since yesterday when I learned of its possible demise. Tears come too. I can't grasp that there cannot be an alternative to killing this beautiful living thing.

Why do we need the concrete? They say the roots are interfering with the drainage off the roof when it rains. Yes, rain comes in under the door. But can't something else be done to the runoff? Divert the gutters--- something? They speak of it like its nothing more than a nuisance. It's much easier (and lucrative --lumber $) to simply cut it down thank come up with an alternative. The roots will still need to be contended with; they'll take years to rot.

Ufortunately, the way things work around here, a few old men make all the decisions. I have to believe if the wider congregation knew about this, there would be an uprising. But the guys believe in asking for forgiveness later; I've seen it before.

I'm sick over it.20200819_092053.jpg
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

That’s sad.

Typical. Pave Paradise to put up a parking lot.

The problem with today is people are SO short-sighted, especially in this country. And they want what they want when they want it, no matter what the collateral damage is.

Such a shame.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

a few old men make all the decisions.
    Seems that way about a lot of things.
    I have diverted water all around my house so yes there are alternatives. Perhaps a good fight for you to fight.

I'm sorry. Do they know how much even the thought of the removal of the tree is upsetting some folks/you? Maybe if they could be shown that it is seen as a part of the church, a symbol of its exterior beauty and identity, they might search out some alternative solutions.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I would be heartsick too.

KayLR, I know it's only been a couple of weeks, but any status change on the sequoia? I hope someone is working on a way around not removing it.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

YES! I called and reported it to just the right person who is also passionate about trees. He and an architectural landscaper friend, along with one of the board members, are looking at re-engineering the whole area including rain runoff and drains, concrete and roof enhancements. I'm so grateful there are so many tree-huggers up here! I know it will be more work, but I know there would be a major outcry if the small group of guys just went behind the scenes and cut it down.

I believe this will work! Thanks for asking!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    YES! I called and reported it to just the right person who is also passionate about trees. He and an architectural landscaper friend, along with one of the board members, are looking at re-engineering the whole area including rain runoff and drains, concrete and roof enhancements. I'm so grateful there are so many tree-huggers up here! I know it will be more work, but I know there would be a major outcry if the small group of guys just went behind the scenes and cut it down.

I believe this will work! Thanks for asking!
    That is SO AWESOME! Good for you, Kay, for stepping up! "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead. You may not be changing the world, but you have shown that one voice for good can make a difference!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

That's great news!! And, as catherine said, kudos to you for stepping up and speaking up!

Thread Information