Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Age of Idiocy

People are just plain stupid and ignorant these days. Everything seems to cater to the lowest common denominator. A lot less people read. Low information voters? Ha, talk about NO information voters. More people seem to get their news from social media. They're not just ignorant, they're dang near illiterate. Definitely ill-educated.

I'm a moderate conservative. I look at both ends of the spectrum and ask WTF are they smoking? The far right is as bad as the far left.

Tradd, I keep saying the same thing. There are so many sources of good information out there. i keep posting sources for all the simplistic posts that keep popping up on FB. Some support and some are highly critical. A couple of people have actually deleted the bad info they were posting. I hope they learned how to check first.

I get most of my news from overseas sources and the NYT and Washington Post. At least they provide more infomation than a sound bite. Our local paper was bought by the owners of USAToday and is hopeless.

Our TV news is mostly sensational stories from somewhere else or reading what the police or fire dept put on on their own pages. No actual reporting seems to be done.

I get my Covid news from This Week in Virology, Medcram and several medical society grand rounds they post on Youtube. Actual scientists and medical professionals discussing the various aspects of the latest info and how it applies to them and their patients. Nice variety of opinion and no hiding of info.

OK people, be careful. I have seen too many situations where anger from aggravation coloured one's life and took the joy out of it. Plan aggressively for some regular down time with people or activities you really enjoy and that remind you that life is really good.
    It is so easy to be angry and annoyed but it takes effort to do the opposite which is so much better for you and those around you. Hard experience talking here.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    OK people, be careful. I have seen too many situations where anger from aggravation coloured one's life and took the joy out of it. Plan aggressively for some regular down time with people or activities you really enjoy and that remind you that life is really good.
    It is so easy to be angry and annoyed but it takes effort to do the opposite which is so much better for you and those around you. Hard experience talking here.
    Razz, I love this post. Thank you, I needed to hear this for myself; it's been an aggravating week.

Razz, that’s great advice! I am not letting anything steal my joy. I am enjoying connecting with family and friends just not in large groups. Our lives are having some semblance of normalcy.

This is great advice, Razz. There really is an element of choice involved as to whether you find your fellow humans to be a source of joy or annoyance.

I have my diving. Go pretty much every weekend. Working from home has really reduced my contact with people.

Good thought. I am not totally immune to that and have to watch myself, but have a friend who seems to be stuck in general state of aggravation, and recent politics and health concerns have made it worse. Oddly enough I almost think some people get some sort of consolation from being angry. I could also identify something like a false sense of superiority where our ego compensates for insecurities and makes it easier to label others as lesser people.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    Good thought. I am not totally immune to that and have to watch myself, but have a friend who seems to be stuck in general state of aggravation, and recent politics and health concerns have made it worse. Oddly enough I almost think some people get some sort of consolation from being angry. I could also identify something like a false sense of superiority where our ego compensates for insecurities and makes it easier to label others as lesser people.
    I think that is very true, Rogar. I think the anger feels more powerful than the sorrow, confusion, or grief that is so often the alternative.

Yes, razz, great post.

I find the best way to deal with the frustrations of "idiocy" is to unplug. I never watch the news anymore. In fact my TV watching is way down. My home page is set to the NYT so it's not like I don't get any news. I can read headlines and get a gist of what's going on. I am doing less and less FB. Scrolling through Facebook is like lighting a match to ignite aggravation and anger.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information