Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast

Thread: My new Pied a .terre

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Just found this one on the 3rd floor. I love the floor plan and the windows/floors. Not sure about the columns. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...2938437_zpid/?
    Yes! That condo is in my building. The decor is ..extra.

We went to a party on the 9th floor recently. The owners had 3 of the 4 units on that floor and had knocked out walls between them. It is a very big unit with a great view. They kept all 3 kitchens so the units can be put back together as separate in the future.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-23-23 at 10:29am.

Wow! Amazing chandelier! Glad you found something you like.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

That condo was too much for me especially the wallpaper. But the size was nice. Looking at that one sent me down a rabbit trail looking at others that popped up and they are cheap. Although property taxes are 4xs mine. I was surprised that Kenosha’s real estate isn’t cheaper but probably because it’s commuting distance to Milwaukee and Chicago. Plus property taxes are high.

In the early 80s, we thought about moving to Chicago. A small unit was available on one of the top floors of the John Hancock building. I am so GLAD that hubby did not get the job. The company went bust and I would not have enjoyed being downtown. But we were young and it sounded exciting. Never gave a thought to fire or wind or anything.

Condos downtown are very expensive and it’s beautiful between the lights and Lake Michigan but it’s a pain to get out of there to go anywhere. The traffic has always been insane. We used to ride the train from Kenosha to Chicago to spend the day even though it was a short drive.

Okay--Them bike racks are very impressive. I like how they did that. Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    That condo was too much for me especially the wallpaper. But the size was nice. Looking at that one sent me down a rabbit trail looking at others that popped up and they are cheap. Although property taxes are 4xs mine. I was surprised that Kenosha’s real estate isn’t cheaper but probably because it’s commuting distance to Milwaukee and Chicago. Plus property taxes are high.
    fortunately, for the St. Louis condo, y’all are talking about, that’s not wallpaper it’s just paint on the wall. It’s very easy to remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sigh. I reaaaaaaaakly pushed myself to embrace clean, contemporary or authentic Art Deco decor for this little condo from the Art Deco age and I was dead set on having only 1 pre-1900 piece in the living room.

But after going for 2.5 years without a ceiling fixture (everything I liked was too much money) I found this glass rod chandelier in an antique store and bought it. It is kinda sorta Art Deco even tho too fancy for my original vision.

I do love it, and it casts a pretty pattern on the ceiling.

Attachment 5124
    That does look like an angel, or maybe something Asian-inspired. I like that it appears fairly close to the ceiling, but it's hard to place it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    You are not the only one with a phobia about fire and death by elevator. Ever since 9/11, I have been wary of tall buildings and elevators. Part of this is that I am terrified of heights, part of this is that I remember how innocent elavators became tombs during 9/11. I'm so bad with this that when one of SO's friends went to Chicago and went to the top of the former Sears Tower, once the tallest building in the world (now I think the tallest is in Dubai?) - just looking at an image pointed straight down made my stomach react and my nerves get instantly wound up. One thing I believe that is great about remote work is that office workers formerly in these (in my mind, anyway) deathtraps (skyscrapers) don't have to take the risk involved when they work at home.

In Phoenix office towers are not that big a deal as for a city of this size, we really don't have that many. I'm thinking more of New York, Seattle, Philadelphia - cities that are scrunched together where land is very expensive and space is at a premium - these types of cities wind up my nerves should I think what it must be like to work that many floors up. I don't know if I could do it truth be told but I'm not in a line of work where that is an issue, thankfully. Rob
    at a recent party in our condo building one of the residents said when she lived in Chicago the fire ladders reached to the 13th floor. I dont know what we have in St. Louis.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-28-23 at 12:13pm.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I like the ones that look like avant-garde propellers, personally. But I've never had one, and really have no use for one, so the fact that propeller chic doesn't go with any decor I'm likely to have is moot.
    We bought one of those propeller type fans for our sun room in Hermann. I like the looks of it.

Thread Information