Page 40 of 45 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Pied a .terre

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, the color theme for this condo is “blue.”

Even though the kitchen is not open to the living area, I had to settle on kitchen cabinet color before I chose the colors for the rest of the place.
    Or "bleu."
    Lovely. Everything is coming together nicely!

I love everything about your condo. Really beautiful!!

I wish I had taste like yours.

Somewhere on this thread I was crowing about the windows in my condo. They are old and original. They are double hung windows and they have haft and I like moving them up and down. See, All my other houses in St. Louis have modern windows.

Well folks, I’m staying in the condo and it’s 23° outside and yeah, it is cold in here! These windows are leaky.

The heat in our condo is provided by radiator and there’s no way to adjust it.

The windows, if I’m to hang onto them, certainly need reglazed and caulked at minimum. I had that on DH’s agenda a couple years from now. I also just this week decided to get simple sheer curtains along with new blinds, but neither of those do much to keep out the outdoor elements.

Shoot, I may give in and just get new windows. That would be many thousands of dollars of course, but I don’t mind that, I mind seeing these nice old windows go.

The condo association would like me to get new windows because it saves on heat. My windows are at the back of the building so aesthetics are not an issue, but everyone in the building gets new windows anyway, the only stipulation is they have to be the color brown.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Somewhere on this thread I was crowing about the windows in my condo. They are old and original. They are double hung windows and they have haft and I like moving them up and down. See, All my other houses in St. Louis have modern windows.

Well folks, I’m staying in the condo and it’s 23° outside and yeah, it is cold in here! These windows are leaky.

The heat in our condo is provided by radiator and there’s no way to adjust it.

The windows, if I’m to hang onto them, certainly need reglazed and caulked at minimum. I had that on the agents agenda a couple years from now. I also just this week decided to get simple sheer curtains along with new blinds, but neither of those do much to keep out the outdoor elements.

Shoot, I may give in and just get new windows. That would be many thousands of dollars of course, but I don’t mind that, I mind seeing these nice old windows go.

The condo association would like me to get new windows because it saves on heat. My windows are at the back of the building so aesthetics are not an issue, but everyone in the building gets new windows anyway, the only stipulation is they have to be the color brown.
    Yeah, the band-aid approach would be to get thermal roman shades or triple cell honeycomb shades or even both. Our honeycomb shades do help keep drafts out.

But the best long-term option probably is to replace them, and as you know, I'm a lover of old windows, too. Maybe save one and repurpose it as a picture frame or something. Or at least donate them to ReStore or an architectural salvage place.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Oh IL I feel for you. We have been debating windows for a long time....our house is only 60 years old but I love the windows...but now we have storm windows-old aluminum outside and the homemade wooden frames covered with 3m film that we put up in the winter. It works...but it would be a lot easier if they just needed nothing. I don't trust that the new ones wouldn't still need storm windows on the outside. We've lost our window washing guy...so that is an issue, too. New windows would allow us to wash them without a ladder! So, I'll be interested in seeing what you do.

We had replaced all our windows in the early nineties with Marvin tilt-in windows. They look great with the true divided lights, but functionally were not as great as I would have hoped, and the "tilt-in" functionality required a lot more brute-force wrestling than I had envisioned. Now they are nearly 30 years old and are letting in a lot of cold air. I have been considering some of the following options for interior storm panels that you might want to look at IL. I haven't come to any decisions just yet:
    https://indowwindows.com/
    https://stormwindows.com/
    https://www.windowinserts.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    We had replaced all our windows in the early nineties with Marvin tilt-in windows. They look great with the true divided lights, but functionally were not as great as I would have hoped, and the "tilt-in" functionality required a lot more brute-force wrestling than I had envisioned. Now they are nearly 30 years old and are letting in a lot of cold air. I have been considering some of the following options for interior storm panels that you might want to look at IL. I haven't come to any decisions just yet:
    https://indowwindows.com/
    https://stormwindows.com/
    https://www.windowinserts.com/
    Those are nice--do you have any ballpark as to price? Every year we do the shrink-wrapped plastic on the window thing, and it really helps a LOT, but it takes the better part of a day to do all the windows. The inserts would probably work better and be much faster to transition to.

I've realized with the plastic, and potentially with the inserts, that I get a bit claustrophobic in that it bothers me if I can't open at least one window in the winter. As I've mentioned before, DH's body thermostat skews very cold and he compensates with a need for the house to be about 75 degrees. Sometimes I go to the bedroom, shut the door and open the window just for some fresh air. Plus, I think about what if there's a fire and you need fast egress. With plastic, I can rip it out, but the inserts would have to be super easy to pull out for me to be comfortable with them.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We made removable wooden frames covered with the film to screw into the window in the winter. I leave one kitchen window, the bathroom windows and bedroom windows un covered by the frames. I do open the kitchen window several times in the winter. I've looked at the inserts and think they might work but I don't know if they'd be any better. I also saw some sash liners that are supposed to work, but cannot get an answer from calls to the only place I've found on line that carries them. We would need someone to install them. Thanks Rosa for the info on your windows. I guess after 30 years...We're 70 so maybe they'd be OK!

NSWEF: It sounds like you have basically made something similar to what the windowinserts.com people are offering, and I'm sure for much lower cost.
    Catherine: They all have pricing tools on their sites. I had priced out 7 quite small windows. Indows would cost $1726, and Innerglass was even more expensive. Windowinserts would only be $467. So given the number of windows in my house (28) and the fact that I had priced the smallest windows, I consider Indows and Innerglass cost prohibitive.

Thread Information