Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Pied a .terre

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Apparently working with quartz can be deadly for the installers, so better to avoid it. This is from a quick google search, but there is plenty of info on it if you want to delve further:
    As sleek “engineered stone” countertops grow in popularity, safety experts are warning that workers who handle them are at particularly high risk from an old workplace hazard — silica, the mineral tied to silicosis, a debilitating and potentially deadly lung disease.
    Here's more info: https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3768.pdf
    Yes, I just learned of that as well, and unfortunately when I redid the house for my MIL next door, I used quartz. It is very durable and looks nice, but I don't know that I'd use it ever again. The older I get and the more I read, the more and more skeptical I am about many things synthetic or engineered. Microfiber is ubiquitous these days, but it's horrible for the environment. But I do love my microfiber cloths and blankets. Time to go back to cotton and wool.

Your marble choice is gorgeous, IL! I'd love it if it came from Vermont! As you probably know, VT is a huge supplier of marble and granite.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Apparently working with quartz can be deadly for the installers, so better to avoid it. This is from a quick google search, but there is plenty of info on it if you want to delve further:
    As sleek “engineered stone” countertops grow in popularity, safety experts are warning that workers who handle them are at particularly high risk from an old workplace hazard — silica, the mineral tied to silicosis, a debilitating and potentially deadly lung disease.
    Here's more info: https://www.osha.gov/Publications/OSHA3768.pdf
    Hunh, and quartzite (solid stone) is worse in silica. It is not the man-made aspect of quartz that causes trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yes, I just learned of that as well, and unfortunately when I redid the house for my MIL next door, I used quartz. It is very durable and looks nice, but I don't know that I'd use it ever again. The older I get and the more I read, the more and more skeptical I am about many things synthetic or engineered. Microfiber is ubiquitous these days, but it's horrible for the environment. But I do love my microfiber cloths and blankets. Time to go back to cotton and wool.

Your marble choice is gorgeous, IL! I'd love it if it came from Vermont! As you probably know, VT is a huge supplier of marble and granite.
    I dislike microfiber intensely, but those little cloths are useful for cleaning eyeglasses and computer screens.

Microfiber is so cheap it’s ridiculous. I go into the Fabric sewing stores and half of it is microfiber or cotton for quilters. I love looking at the cottons but the microfibers is ick.

I finally threw away Most of the microfiber blankets I had accumulated over the years, donations from people to the Bulldog Rescue group. They are not absorbent and they don’t help in keeping dogs. Vomit, urine etc. just kind of roll off of it it’s yucky.

That looks like quite a project; I bet the outcome will be wonderful.

I have simple taste--I'd be happy with a couple cans of paint and some formica.

I would love to have a pantry again. Pantries are fantastic and allow you to do much more with your kitchen. I had a great one in the 1920 bungalow I had back in Illinois--it was about very narrow and long, between the kitchen and the family room area that had been added on to the house. I vote put in a pantry, especially if you are doing major reconstruction because of the pipe problems.

I'd like a pantry, too, but my kitchen has barely enough room for a garbage bin. I'm tucking a pantry shelf away in the hall--or maybe the laundry room.

Does anyone do Corian anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I was wondering this as well. A friend had it installed at great expense years ago but I have not enquired how it has worked out.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I honestly don't think it's very popular these days. Maybe it went the way of Corelle dishware--a relic of decades past. I never see it on home decorating shows, or in magazines, and none of my friends have it. Turnover of trends in kitchen materials and finishes is pretty fast these days. Install a brushed nickel faucet in January and by December people are talking about brass again.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I did a quick search and found this link about the care which seems quite a lot: https://www.corian.com/-use-care-
    Corian also make a quartz version.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information