Page 18 of 45 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: My new Pied a .terre

So what are you doing with the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So what are you doing with the floor?
    New wood floor. Needs sanding, cleaning in between two coats of polyurethane.

In my “striving for perfection” mode for this condo (remember ONLY for this condo, our Hermann house is renovated with Home Depot schlock) I wanted a higher end finish. DH looked at me cross eyed about my faaaaaaancy idea .

I quickly decided that I would have to let go of that idea and just let him do his thing which is very nice and so be it. Very little of the tiny floor space will show anyway.

But it is not the floor finish that my decorating guru, Laurel Berne, recommends for wood floors to make them look timeless.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 6-21-21 at 10:10pm.

Also, I’ve given a $500 deposit to someone in my neighborhood who does decorative painting. She’s busy with another client right now but she will get to my job, the tiny bedroom, eventually. I believe her estimate was $1500 for the job for this 10 x 10 bedroom.

So is she painting a mural on your bedroom wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So is she painting a mural on your bedroom wall?
    not a pictorial mural. She is doing a faux finish that requires multiple applications.But —and this is important— the wall will remain smooth. That was critical because DH spent so much time smoothing and patching these old walls.

IL, your condo is really going to be beautiful. I will have to google those types of wall finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I am spending ridiculous amounts of time chasing down a way to get these French Coolie shades that I have fallen for made into a light fixture. The historic lighting place in town said they couldn’t do it for under $500 which is my ceiling price.

I secretly believe DH could do this work, just like he could do the elusive mullion work, but DH is busy fixing up my condo and then will have to pivot to work on our Hermann house. I am very very lucky to have exclusive use of DH’s time. That is not enough! and I want more of him, I want to clone him.
    Update on French Coolie shade, a light fixture from France:

I don’t have pictures. Oh wait maybe I can find the eBay picture. Here it is below. It was shipped from France. I also bought another French shade that has a blue edge to swap out for this shade. It was shipped from France as well. Everything got here with no breakage.

This is a typical industrial light fixture from France from the 1920s. It has a cool counterweight, the egg shaped thing. You fill it with sand.

DH has been fussing with it the last day or two and he thinks he can get it to work. He needs to source a doohicky to get it hung from the ceiling.Apparently I have to buy a French lightbulb. So I ordered a French lightbulb via Amazon. We shall see if that works.

704EB716-801E-48ED-84C0-16F0616A31B2.jpg A0C49EAF-614A-42EE-8E71-9401472C2A17.jpg

I am obsessed with vintage lighting for this condo. I’m currently looking at an Art Deco Machine Age light for $750 for the little hallway. That is pricey.My condo was built in 1927 which was the very beginning of the Art Deco rage. Thing is, my building has nothing Art Deco about it. There are other buildings built in town that were very Art Deco but not this one.

Yet, I feel the need to make a nod to Art Deco in the decor here.

Given the trouble we’ve had with this French product, I have eliminated from my choice list a super cool Art Deco pendant light from the Czech Republic. I’m afraid it will come with some sort of special lighting needs like a requirement to buy a Czech lightbulb which only God knows where I would get that.

The Czechs have a wonderful Design history. Their art and illustration and crafts can be outstanding. Moser glass foundry is just outside of Prague.

They still turn out a lot of glass objects but it’s awful touristy stuff and it is not interesting.

Very cool IL! Very lucky that nothing was broken in transit.

Interesting. Glad you are able to find the pieces you want.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information