Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So do you think you're ready to evacuate?

So do you think you're ready to evacuate?

I got to test this two nights ago. As the Almeda fire continued to progress to our town and the evacuation levels started getting called I started preparing to bug out. I don't think I did too bad. I had a list and 2 preprepared boxes. One with important papers and the other with bug out box of emergency food, water, first aid stuff. It didn't take long to gather some more items. Clothes, medicines, candles, flashlights, and dog and cat food and the extra stash of cash. I felt pretty good. In the end, we didn't have to go, we were spared. But my stuff still sits on the hallway floor ready to go as we have fires all around us and I dont' feel safe yet. Still I forgot some things, A collection of gems wasn't included in the bags. I forgot to do a last minute recording of the house and contents. I'm sure I forgot other things too. It was my first time ever bugging out and even though I didn't have to I don't think I did too bad. We had time to gather the things. So it wasn't a rush. If I had had to leave immediately I still think I could have gotten out with the two boxes. I had the cat corralled and ready to put into his carrier. The dog was easily brought. I had my handbag with necessaries in it. I think I could have managed a no warning bug out in about 5 minutes with food, cash, vital papers and some food supplies so I feel pretty good about that. It was good practice not having ever had to do that before.

Ugh. My friends on the Mackenzie river left their house at midnight in less than 5 minutes with nothing except the 4 dogs and her purse. Only had shoes on because they always have slip on shoes under the edge of their bed, a habit left over from having lived in earthquake country in California for many years.

They drove their Jeep out. They didn’t have time to take their motorhome, flames were roaring down the hillside into their yard. They both said, We have always assumed we’d have the motorhome in an emergency, and we have everything we need in there. Hmmmm.

That's terrifying, mschrisgo
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We are in the Portland area in level I and haven't had to but my sister and brother have. We have very few things to grab, they are all together, in cases/bags with handles. The RV parked headed out next to the cars, filled and loaded in case we need it or somebody else does. Both sister and brother got out with their RV's and pets.

Another evacuation story: Medford, a stage 2, rapidly followed by GO NOW! Adult daughter grabbed her clothes basket full (dirty), and threw all their devices on top, grabbed her moms clothes basket (clean) and threw jewelry and meds on top, while mom stuffed 3 cats into 1 dog carrier, leashed the dog, and they left. Fortunately they had a home to go back to the next day, but I thought that was pretty quick thinking and action on the daughter’s part. Because all their Important Papers and photos are on the devices, they got all the essentials- people, pets, prescriptions, papers, photos- plus a week’s clothes, and jewelry, in 5 minutes!

Prayers and wishes for safety to everyone. This thread is making me realize I have quite a bit more organizing to do. I have grab-n-go bags, but without some of the important info/stuff. Definitely need a list, as otherwise I would definitely forget stuff in my rushing.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    Another evacuation story: Medford, a stage 2, rapidly followed by GO NOW! Adult daughter grabbed her clothes basket full (dirty), and threw all their devices on top, grabbed her moms clothes basket (clean) and threw jewelry and meds on top, while mom stuffed 3 cats into 1 dog carrier, leashed the dog, and they left. Fortunately they had a home to go back to the next day, but I thought that was pretty quick thinking and action on the daughter’s part. Because all their Important Papers and photos are on the devices, they got all the essentials- people, pets, prescriptions, papers, photos- plus a week’s clothes, and jewelry, in 5 minutes!
    Yikes, I have an elderly aunt in Medford. She is in her 90’s. Her son is there, though,so he would have helped her.

Do you all keep wads of cash in your bug-out bags?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Do you all keep wads of cash in your bug-out bags?
    Maybe if I ever end up with money to spare I'll put some in the grab-n-go bags, but right now - a definite no.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Friend officiated the scheduled wedding, which was relocated to a less smoky venue in Washington. Because the bride's family didn't know if they still had a house (in the foothills of Mt. Hood) to come home to, it was a bittersweet occasion. The smoke plume has reached here; it looks like fog and smells like chemicals.

Luckily being right in town we don’t have to worry about evacuating. Our smoke today is 245.

Thread Information