Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So do you think you're ready to evacuate?

118472138_10208407026770933_1940957327789358980_o.jpg

I can't see the house across the street this morning. It is a combo of heavy smoke and fog. We are off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Do you all keep wads of cash in your bug-out bags?
    Yup, enough to "solve problems" and get the heck out of Dodge.

I found this blog/website years ago from another poster here. Great info on getting documents together to bug out.

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/bl...ons/index.html

I brought back this thread as my son’s good friend from high school in Kansas had to evacuate Lake Tahoe. He moved here about 10 years ago. He is staying with us. Fires are always devastating but Tahoe is such a beautiful area and of course tourism a huge part of the economy. I can’t remember the last time it rained yet Louisiana is having a hurricane. I saw flooding there on tv. One of my friends said it felt like the end of time but noted frogs weren’t raining from the sky. I am guessing maybe it’s a biblical reference but not sure. It really sucks.

I'm totally unprepared--in every conceivable way--to bug out. I suppose I should work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    One of my friends said it felt like the end of time but noted frogs weren’t raining from the sky. I am guessing maybe it’s a biblical reference but not sure. It really sucks.
    It's a reference to Exodus 8:1, maybe mixed up with stories about frogs and fish sucked up by a tornado as it passed over a pond raining down on a nearby town.

Exodus 8:1 -- Then the Lord said to Moses, “Go to Pharaoh and say to him, ‘This is what the Lord says: Let my people go, so that they may worship me. If you refuse to let them go, I will send a plague of frogs on your whole country. The Nile will teem with frogs. They will come up into your palace and your bedroom and onto your bed, into the houses of your officials and on your people, and into your ovens and kneading troughs. The frogs will come up on you and your people and all your officials.’”

Thanks George).

Chuck Jaffe (MarketWatch columnist) had a chimney fire in 2008. There was no immediate danger, but smoke was building, there were flames shooting out the chimney cap and it was clear everyone needed to be out. So he and his family quickly went outside. It was only then that he realized he had forgotten to grab his bugout box. Full Story: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/a-...ical-decisions

Many people have a wonderful bugout bag with everything they would need if they had to evacuate quickly for any reason. But they've never realized their bugout bag won't do them any good if their house is destroyed by a tornado while they're at work. Nor will it help them if they come home and find their neighborhood blockaded because of a gas leak or a derailed train car leaking toxic fumes. Or if, as happened in Dallas recently, your neighbor's house explodes and shatters your house. Or even if you find yourself standing in the street in your pajamas at 2am because a fire broke out while you were asleep and the only thing you could think about was waking your kids up and getting everybody out.

The point is: The best bugout bag in the world won't help you survive or help you put your legal/financial life back together quickly, unless you can be sure it will be accessible in a sudden emergency.

For that reason I strongly suggest you keep all the essentials in a locked suitcase stored at the house of a relative or a very trusted friend who lives close enough to come rescue you, but far enough away to not be affected by a local disaster in your neighborhood. By "essentials" I mean some clothes, money, copies of important documents, some cash, and even a duplicate credit card; IOW a mini version of the bugout bag you keep at home without the mementos and one-of-a-kind items. And be sure to update both of your bugout bags 2 or 3 times a year by adding any new information you would need to put your legal/financial life back together after a disaster.

Clothing Note: Anyone can survive for several weeks wearing purely functional clothes like underwear, sweatpants, a teeshirt, and a sweatshirt. Remember, it's a disaster bugout bag, so don't stuff it full of clothes that look like you're trying to impress someone. You'll end up regretting the bulk and weight if you do.

Thread Information