Thread: Oddball zinnias

Oddball zinnias

I have had the weirdest zinnias this year--a real variety of genetic variations. Here is my favorite; from the side, it looks completely square. It's almost like a Jackie Kennedy pillbox hat:square zinnia thumbnail.jpg

Neat! I love the color.

OMG, they are SO cool! Zinnias are DHs favorite flower. Did you know you were getting something different? Or were they a complete surprise?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I just have such a range of shapes--usually they are pretty straightforward, singles or doubles, but this time I almost conelike flowers and double decker flowers, with a flower coming out of another flower almost on a second stem, like a bee balm flower.

The whole weird range of shapes thing is a shocker. I planted some seeds that were new and some that I saved and I guess things have crossed like crazy over the years.

Love beautiful surprises!
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I just have such a range of shapes--usually they are pretty straightforward, singles or doubles, but this time I almost conelike flowers and double decker flowers, with a flower coming out of another flower almost on a second stem, like a bee balm flower.

The whole weird range of shapes thing is a shocker. I planted some seeds that were new and some that I saved and I guess things have crossed like crazy over the years.
    I agree, it’s probably the crosses that are producing these oddities. They are nice nevertheless

Why weird? This is 2020 after all.

They are lovely. I love zinnias and I definitely need to include them in my garden next year.

That is so cool! They are so pretty - love the color!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Zinnias have become my favorite summer flower. I love how easy they are to grow, how sturdy they are, how the single ones draw hummingbirds, butterflies, bees and goldfinches and that I don't have to water them every day to keep them blooming. I am even learning to like the rusty colors.

Thread Information