Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Ancestry DNA results

This thread has prompted me to check in at Ancestry again.
    I'm now 49% England & Northwestern Europe, 23% Ireland, 22% Scotland, 3% Wales and 3% Norway. My tribe seems to be primarily concentrated in Tennessee & Southern States Settlers.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

So Ancestry.com tells you where most of your DNA connections now reside? I hadn't known about that.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    So Ancestry.com tells you where most of your DNA connections now reside? I hadn't known about that.
    No, not quite. They show migration patterns, where your people went. So most of my people that they know about the connections (mostly on Mom's side, settled in Georgia, Tennessee, the Carolinas.)

Not so many cousins on Dad's side have taken the test, so they don't show that a lot of my ancestors were in New England.

I bought the 23 and Me kit. They do Y analysis and I don’t think Ancestry does.

I read a review of the top DNA analysis companies and Ancestry is on there as is 23 and me.

edited to add: The third company in the review was what I have not heard of.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 9-17-20 at 9:59am.

Ancestry.com also made pretty big changes for me. Ireland is up to 42% from 19%, Scotland is now 33%, and England is down to 21%. No mention of Africa anymore, but added Germanic Europe and Sweden, at 2% each.

However, my biggest surprise was the discovery, through 23andMe, of 3 first cousins that are half Vietnamese... my dad’s brother who served in the Army there was their father.

Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post

However, my biggest surprise was the discovery, through 23andMe, of 3 first cousins that are half Vietnamese... my dad’s brother who served in the Army there was their father.
    Dang! Three???

Ancestry.com also made pretty big changes for me. Ireland is up to 42% from 19%, Scotland is now 33%, and England is down to 21%. No mention of Africa anymore, but added Germanic Europe and Sweden, at 2% each.

That is cool, to have three new cousins! I had one 2-3rd cousin show up who was adopted, and wanted to know who he was related to, but I couldn't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    That is cool, to have three new cousins! I had one 2-3rd cousin show up who was adopted, and wanted to know who he was related to, but I couldn't figure it out.
    Interesting! A mystery to be solved.

My cousin on the Scots side wrote yesterday to let me know that Ancestry analysis has been revised. My brother and I are now 48% Scots whereas my cousin is only 38% Scots. In my little group of cousins, having Scots anything is good social capital. My brother and I are quite rich today! I can thank the Camerons on my mom’s side for this.I think I can also thank them for the giant schnozes.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Interesting! A mystery to be solved.
    Where's CeCe Moore when you need her...

Thread Information