Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ridiculous real estate

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    $475k, 320 sq. ft., 1 BR, 3/4 bath. On the edge of my small village.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...77891213_zpid/
    OMG! That is almost half a million dollars for 320 square feet!!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    OMG! That is almost half a million dollars for 320 square feet!!
    And all of those damn trees to contend with as well.

I’d like the tiny space but yeah, price and surroundings not my cup of tea.

The cabin reminds me of the location my parent’s resort was at in northern Wisconsin. Really beautiful! All of our 55 communities are in the suburbs and are car dependent. One is so huge that it can take 30 minutes just to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    And all of those damn trees to contend with as well.
    If you were in VT you'd have to live with them or fight with the authorities. There are laws against cutting them down just for the view in some municipalities. I think that house is awesome, but I could/would never pay a half a million for it.

I'm feeling pretty good that I paid $164 for a house on a lake with this view 30 minutes from Burlington.

IMG_0600.jpgIMG_0404.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

RE up in the Twin Cities is expensive relative to much of the Midwest. It's hard to find something under $200,000 that either doesn't have serious flaws or needs a lot of work or is located far enough away to require a car to get pretty much anywhere. When I bought this house, this neighborhood looked like it was ready to be the next "hot" neighborhood. That took about ten years longer to happen than I thought it would (thanks, Great Recession), but it did happen and now our house is valued at half-again what I paid for it and the value of my mom's place (bought in foreclosure before the recession) has doubled.

I, too, wonder how long this can be sustained. I guess time will tell. The economy here is still healthy with a lot of employers that can weather some bad years though maybe not too many of them. And so long as gasoline remains historically cheap people will be willing to commute -- if, in fact, there's that much commuting to be done in the foreseeable future.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Our area has risen 20% in the last 12 months. Our 1650sf home is up 439% in 29 years. We're not lower middle class 'hood. Our home is barely the median purchase price.

Even today, average time on the market is a few days unless the home is greater than 20 years old. Those are taking about 45 days.

That place in Maine? Fantastic bargain if it were here.!

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Our area has risen 20% in the last 12 months. Our 1650sf home is up 439% in 29 years. We're not lower middle class 'hood. Our home is barely the median purchase price.

Even today, average time on the market is a few days unless the home is greater than 20 years old. Those are taking about 45 days.

That place in Maine? Fantastic bargain if it were here.!
    Isn't that something. I wonder how sustainable that kind of rise is, and how much it has to do with the low interest rates.

The place in Maine is overpriced when measured against other houses in Maine. But Bridgton is a very hot area.

I like this better in Bridgton:

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_38068431/

It is 265k and the HOA is 95 a month. You have a beach and a pool, tennis, and a lake and a marina.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I like this better in Bridgton:

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_38068431/

It is 265k and the HOA is 95 a month. You have a beach and a pool, tennis, and a lake and a marina.
    I know nothing about the Bridgeton area, but that property is wonderful. It looks spic and span. And all of amenities for $95 a month seems pretty sweet.

I’m starting to think that monthly payment should be the deciding factor even for people who think like we do here on the simple living forum.

Purchase price is becoming highly dependent on timing, even from one week to the next, and interest rates are so variable as well. The economy doesn’t seem like it should support these real estate prices, but apparently it does. If the interest rate is not variable, and assuming a loan rather than a cash purchase, maybe the monthly payment is the most important factor. It’s like renting, but without the unknown risk of future rent increases.

I never thought I would say that.

Thread Information