Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mass layoffs coming to the 85006.....

What's so freaking special about the 85006 with regards to layoffs? O'Hare is a hell of a lot bigger and has been hit even harder.

85006 is a poor community and the airport is one of their biggest employers. My hospital is in that area and I’m still surprised, after a decade, at the poverty of some of our patients. And even some of our employees - if the car breaks down or the bus isn’t running, they can’t afford an Uber to get to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    85006 is a poor community and the airport is one of their biggest employers. My hospital is in that area and I’m still surprised, after a decade, at the poverty of some of our patients. And even some of our employees - if the car breaks down or the bus isn’t running, they can’t afford an Uber to get to work.
    Like it's the only poor community? Puhlease. Chicago has a very large restaurant/hospitality industry that apparently employs a lot of Hispanics. But since they're not in the 85006, they apparently don't matter.

I have compassion for all areas of our country that are struggling.

Maybe I’m not following something in this conversation ...

Lots of areas are suffering, for sure. I read Rob's original post as a report from his neighborhood, like we have all been doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I have compassion for all areas of our country that are struggling.

Maybe I’m not following something in this conversation ...
    I’m taking about the OP’s hyper focus on the 85006.

Considering how involved he is in his neighborhood it’s not surprising to me that rob is often providing fairly detailed info about the goings on there.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Lots of areas are suffering, for sure. I read Rob's original post as a report from his neighborhood, like we have all been doing.
    Thank You, Tybee. That is exactly how I meant it - as a report from the front lines. Certainly the 85006 is not special in this and I have no doubt that Tradd is right and somewhere there is a Chicago zip code hit even harder due to layoffs at O'Hare. My post was just meant as a report. Rob

Oh, did I miss another round of "Let's Pummel Rob?" Always a favorite pastime here.
    And he's always so gracious in the face of it. Here's to you, Rob!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane v2.0 View Post
    Oh, did I miss another round of "Let's Pummel Rob?" Always a favorite pastime here.
    And he's always so gracious in the face of it. Here's to you, Rob!
    Jane.....Thank You once again for your kind words. Gotta fess up and be honest, though. Thus time I did respond to the pummeling but then a few hours later I turned around and deleted my reply. Essentially I stated that I take a great deal of pride and some identity from living where I do - so sue me. Then I came back to delete this response as there's already enough bad blood out there and things are likely to escalate with RBG's death.

I shouldn't have let one particular poster who shall remain nameless bother me - my bad. Rob

Thread Information